18; Sports Festival 2/5

Cavalry Battle

"Participants will, on their own, form teams of two to four members each and get into a horse-and-rider formation! The rules are fundamentally the same as those of an ordinary cavalry battle, snag your opponents' headbands while guarding your own. But with an exception... Each of you has been assigned a point value based on your ranking in the last event!"

"We'll earn points like in the entrance exam? Sounds simple."

"So the point value of each team depends on its members!"

"I'M ABOUT TO EXPLAIN IT, SO JUST SHUT UP ALREADY!! Anyway, yes!! And your individual point values start at five, at the bottom! So the student who took 42nd place took five points. 41st is worth ten... Get it? But... Our first-place participant is worth... TEN MILLION POINTS!! The higher-ranked students are the ones to aim for... This survival game is a chance for a comeback. It's anyone's game!!"

Damn. This might be tough; I couldn't think of who I should have on my team. I could see Bakugo being flooded with people asking him to be on his team, so I instantly walked away from the growing crowd. Uraraka then went up to me.

"Hey, [Name], wanna be a team?"

"...Um, yes."

I then turned around, to see if anyone else could join. I noticed barely anyone was near the half-and-half kid, but he already had a team. I noticed Iida was already on that team, so he couldn't join. I was getting a bit worried; I knew just me and Uraraka in a team might not go so well. Even if she made us weightless making it easier to run from people if we ever got into a little fight neither of our quirks could probably work well in that situation.

Then a girl, with shoulder length, salmon pink hair, wearing some type of goggles, came up to us.

"So... You're in second place! Mind if I join? That first placer wouldn't let me help him!"

She seemed to be decked with all types of gear, which surprised me.

"Um... Sure... What's your name?"

She lifted her goggles from her face, revealing green-yellow eyes.

"The names Mei Hatsume, from the support course! I have barely any idea of who you are, but I could be useful in your position! Joining you means I'll be somewhere in the spotlight!! And then, inevitably, my super cute babies will be seen by the industry big shots. They'll have to take notice of me and my babies!!"

Both me and Ochako were confused about what Hatsume was talking about, but she kept going.

"But wait- There's more. This could also be advantageous for you. In the support course, we develop equipment to make heroes' quirks easier to use! I've got plenty of my babies here, and I'm sure you'll find one or two that suit you!"

She then brought out a jet pack which looked like a very close resemblance to a hero that I knew.

"Perhaps this one's to your liking? It's a model on a certain hero's backpack, with a few additions of my own..."

"Is it the buster hero Airjet's pack? I know a friend who loves that guy."

Saying that slightly hurt me inside. I felt kinda alone realizing he was not here. I quickly got distracted once Hatsume continued showing me other things she had. But we needed one more person...

I began walking away. Making my way to the person I hoped would join us.

"Tokoyami, right? I need you."