Chapter 9 Distraction

"Alright class, can one of you tell me where you wou-"

Y/N looks through her telescope at the night sky, ignoring Professor Sinistra's question. The stars sit among each other in perfect harmony and yet, no one ever talks about it. The way that all these little, twinkling lights are placed across the sky, like freckles on a face. So effortless and so thought out at the same time. Perhaps that's the plan. Maybe their truly is some high power in control and they've dropped each of the stars in their place for a reason. After all, constellations exist and what feels more planned in the night than those? The way that they makes everything from harps to dragons. Sometimes, she wishes that she could swim among them somehow. That idea of floating around with stars feels like and out of body experience. Or at least a once in a life time sort of event.

"Miss Sparks."

Her attention's pulled away from the sky. "Yes, Professor Sinistra?"

The woman's eyes glare across the Astronomy tower

The woman's eyes glare across the Astronomy tower. "While I understand the want to just gaze at the night sky, I am teaching a lesson right now."

She looks down to her parchment for a second and the back to the teacher. "Yes, my apologies, Professor."

"Now, Miss Sparks. Can you name five of Jupiter's moons?"

Y/N thinks about it for a second. "Um.. Well, there's Europa, Io, Callisto, Ganymede, and..... Titania?"

The Professor faces doesn't change at all throughout the entire interaction. "Unfortunately, Miss Sparks, Titania is one of Uranus' moons."

Crap. She can't remember the last time she felt like this. Usually her astronomy knowledge is on point, but it seems to have taken a hit. Hopefully it's just because she hasn't been studying enough. This is one of her favorite classes and she wants to take the N.E.W.T. level class next year. As long as Voldemort doesn't end the world before then. Maybe that's a bit pessimist to think, but it isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

Y/N looks down to the page. She'd been drawing what she was looking at before the professor saw that she wasn't paying attention. Drawing's a bit of an exaggeration, it's just some of the constellations. There's something about the night sky that feels so enchanting. Maybe it's the simple fact that it sits as a reminder that there is so much more to universe than what's happening on Earth. Or it could just be that it's nice to look at.

"Boring, innit?"

She looks to Ron, who's joining her along with Harry and Hermione on the way down the Astronomy Tower. "No, quite the opposite actually."

Hermione gives her a look. "Is that why you weren't paying any attention."

She smiles. "I just got distracted."

"Sure." Potter says. "Tell that to the professor."

"Professor Sinistra more than anyone understands the want to just stare at the night sky, no matter how strict she appears to be. It radiates off of her."