epilogue

some years later

-

"birdie, cheetah. a pleasure seeing you here." redeye says to his female colleagues while flashing a toothy grin.

cheetah exchanges an amused look with birdie, crossing her arms as a handful of students start to gather around inside the instructing room.

"redeye.. so i see they'll let anybody into top gun, now?" she remarks smartly, while birdie seems to laugh a bit.

"what's the story here, cheetah?" birdie asks, glancing from redeye to her pilot.

"the story here, birdie, goes back to flight school." redeye replies, his grin still firmly placed on his face.

"redeye, did you want that cup of coffee still?" a timid flyer approaches the tall redeye, pushing his glassing up his nose.

"yes, brainy, make yourself useful if you could." redeye replies, nodding. he turns to the female aviators once more, rolling his eyes. "he's my new RIO-"

"appreciate them while you can, lieutenant." a woman says instructionally from the doorway of the room.

everyone turns their heads, taking their seats quickly as the woman and a man walk up to the front of the room.

"top gun was created to teach a.c.m, air combat maneuvering," the woman starts to speak, crossing her hands. "dogfighting."

she turns her head towards the man next to her. "i'd like to introduce you to our commanding officer at top gun. the very first man to win the top gun trophy."

"commander mike metcalf. callsign, viper." she finishes, stepping aside to let the man speak.

"gentlemen, and- women." he starts, crossing his arms. "you are the top one percent of all naval aviators." pacing back and forth, he adds on, "the elite. the best of the best."

he starts to explain the schedule to the students as they listen intently, not knowing what they're getting themselves into.

as he continues to talk, he walks down the isle to a plaque that sits on the back wall of the room. "in case some of you wonder who the truly best are, they're up here on this plaque on the wall."

viper turns around. "the best driver and their RIO from each class has their name on it." he starts to walk back to the front, placing his hands on his sides. "they have the option to come back here to be top gun instructors."

viper's gaze sits on cheetah, who listens from the front row. "you think your name is gonna be on that plaque?"

she hesitates for a moment, before smiling. "yes sir!"

redeye laughs, clutching his stomach. he looks at her from across the isle. "surely you know, cheetah, no woman has won the trophy?"

"i'm afraid your facts are incorrect, redeye." the woman, who was standing on the side, corrects.

he looks at her confused, which makes "brainy" next to him, facepalm. "dude, are you stupid?" he whispers.

viper exchanges a look with the woman before turning to the oblivious pilot in the front. "our very own commander, y/n "checkmate" l/n broke this record. her and her RIO were the first women to be on that plaque."

birdie and cheetah look at the female instructor admiringly, sharing an excited look before paying attention once more.

"wow- uhm, my apologies-" redeye says, looking at his feet embarrassingly.

"class of '86, bro. she flew with maverick!" brainy geeks out, clearly have done his research.

redeye gives him an annoyed side glance, before viper continues. "this school is about combat, there are no points for second place."

he scans the room one more time before nodding to checkmate. she walks to the center of the room, now fiddling with the ring on her finger.

the room now knew of her status, which made her somewhat intimidated. her face breaks into a small smile, knowing this class is going to be a fun one to fly with.

"dismissed."

-