twelve

1978

"my palms are sweatier than a sinner in church."

"would you cut your worrying? you're making me anxious." i retort to my friend who sat next to me. she was quite the downer. i've been preparing for this. it's okay.

i'm sitting in my seat, lacing my hands together in a  nice manner. i try to keep my demeanor positive. ignoring the toxic thoughts in my head. the instructor comes around with the booklet and the answer paper. of course, you have to fill in the circles until the letter isn't visible.

i'm lost in a train of thought until the student next to me, a handsome boy, a bit older than me; clears his throat to catch my attention. i turn my head to him, confused. he scans the room before sliding me a sheet of paper and whispering,
"an old friend of mine gave this to me. figured this would help."

my muscles tense.
is he really offering me answers? if someone found out, i could get in serious trouble. aw shit, now i'm stuck in a corner.
i could work real hard on this test, use what i know... or use the answers.
i've worked hard, this test should be no problem! dogfighting, no problem!
but it would take the pressure off me....

i reluctantly take the paper, thanking him even though i should be reporting him.
but sadly, i didn't have the guts to.

* * *

present day

maverick sure did tick me off sometimes. a real pain in the ass, truly. i walk out of the bar so quick, so eager to escape the air that felt like it could suffocate me at any moment. i hate fighting with him, but it was inevitable i suppose.

i'm marching out to my car, keys tense in my hand as i fondle with the lock on my car. when i finally get it open, someone clears their throat from behind me. i roll my eyes and turn around before seeing iceman with his arms crossed.

"a little upset, aren't you?" he asks, a small smirk on his face.

"go away, kazansky. i don't want to deal with anymore assholes." i retort, proceeding to toss my jacket in the passenger seat.

he walks over to me from his car, casually. i glare at him, annoyed at what he could possibly threaten me with this time.

"you don't really consider me an asshole, do you now?" iceman questions, leaning onto the car i'm trying to get into. "yes. i do." i reply simply, going to sit down before he closes the door so i can't get in.

"what's your deal with me? what about me fascinates you so much that you have to bother me? why won't you leave me alone?" i snap, placing my hands firmly on my hips.

"i just can't seem to figure you out, y/n. you go in that fire and you come back to top gun like it's all fine. you're too determined, anyone who i've met would've easily given up. and you're the top competition. one of the best flyers here," tom argues, his gaze coldly staring into mine.

"but yet somehow through all my negative thoughts about you, you always manage to come back into my mind like a bliss."

i'm frozen in shock.
what does he mean?
and why can't i move?
and why does my heart beat faster?
like i'm about to throw up, seriously.

i say nothing as we just stare at each other. before he leans in, stopping at just barely my lips before whispering.

"can i kiss you?"

i'm stiff. my face is staring ahead, and before i know it i'm somehow nodding my head. he presses his lips onto mine gently, despite his intimidating demeanor. i'm still frozen as he kisses me, only my mouth moving with his but the rest of me like ice.

after a second, he pulls away with ease. a small smirk on his face because he knows i've cracked. "maybe you'll think of me differently now. give it some thought, checkmate." iceman states before walking off.

i lean against my car, jaw slightly gaping.

i turn my head to the entrance of the bar, and that's where i see the worst thing that could have occurred.

maverick watching. the entire time.

-