seven

one moment i'm standing outside of my car, talking to pete. the next moment i'm in the car, letting pete take me to dinner.

i never thought i'd see this moment, only in my dreams. god, i can't believe he was talking about me, to me...

there's a sort of awkward-comfortable silence that sits between us and the soft humming of the car. it's only four or five-ish so the sun is still brightly shining through the windows.

i side eye pete, as he casually drives. his jaw is clenched and he looks nervous, i probably look the same way. before he turns to glance at me i turn away, looking out of the window innocently. he opens his mouth to say something, but no words come out.

"you know i had a big crush on you in flight school?" i say, chuckling to myself a little.

"you still have a big crush on me now?" pete asks, flashing a smug grin at me.

i snort. "maybe not as big."
i shouldn't be kidding myself.

a quiet moment passes before pete speaks again.
"how come you never told me?" he asks.

"because there wasn't any way to know if you liked me back." i respond flatly, looking back out of the window. "that's bullshit." he remarks, laughing a bit.

i turn my head, a confused expression on my face. "what do you mean?"

"don't tell me you didn't know."

"know what?"

"y/n, i gave you so many hints." pete says, as the car stopped at a red light. i scoff. "now that's the biggest load of crap i've ever heard."

"it's true. you never returned my signs so i just eventually gave up. hell, when you walked through those doors on the first day you got here..i didn't know what to think." pete sighs, looking at me fully at this point. i hold my gaze with him as we're now making full eye contact.

"i thought i'd never see you again. i just assumed i had missed my chance with a woman who i truly understood, and gave up on trying to find a replacement for her. so when you came into my life again, i wasn't gonna let you get away that easily."

my mouth becomes dry, my pulse speeds up. i feel like i'm gonna vomit from the tingles in my stomach. if he had shown all these signs, why didn't i pick up on them? why didn't he pick up on mine?

"i never knew you felt that strongly." i whisper as the light turns green. pete clears his throat, leaning back in the seat. "i've known you for forever. all these feelings get pent up real easily."

i nod, saying nothing. i crack my knuckles nervously as we approach a diner. it sat on the shoreline of the coast, making it a beautiful view. he pulls into the parking lot, and parks the car in a space.

pete quickly gets out of the car, opening the door for me before i could even reach for the handle. i thank him, standing up.

"let's have a good time." he smiles at me while we walk closely together. i beam as our hands brush together, eventually making me entwine mine with his.

-