eight

"i meant to apologize for barging into your room last night." pete mitchell lays the menu flat on the table. i look up from my pepsi to him, a small smile growing on my face.

"it's alright. it gave sam something to ramble about, so you did her a favor." i say, chuckling. pete huffs humorously, not taking his eyes off of me even when i look back down.

the waitress comes over, dressed in a vintage 60's outfit as she holds a pen and notepad in her hands. she smiles sweetly at the both of us. "are y'all ready to order?" she asks, her country accent very noticeable.

i look at pete and he nods, and so i speak. "yeah, i think we're ready."

"okay, for you sir?"

mitchell clears his throat before peeking at the menu a last time. "i'll have two chicago hot dogs, with a small fry."

"for the misses?"

"i'm actually gonna have the same thing." i return, grinning. pete huffs amused, collecting the menus and handing them to the waitress. "those'll be out in a jiffy." she says before strolling off.

"copycat, eh?" he asks, crossing his arms. i shrug. "felt like it. plus, i actually didn't know what to get so." i respond simply, as he laughs.

we stare at each other for what seems like forever. i'd never thought i'd actually go on a date with maverick, even though we've been friends forever. the thought was always a daydream or a fantasy. never reality.

"where did you disappear to when we were playing volleyball yesterday?" i ask curiously. pete laughs a little before resting his hand on mine. "i had to take care of something."

"like what?" i press on. i know it's none of my business, but hell, i'm kind of curious.

pete gives up and starts. "char-"

our conversation is interrupted when a loud, screeching alarm starts sounding. from the corner of my eye, i could see a orange glowy light coming from the door of the kitchen.

"everyone, evacuate, now!"

the whole dining area was full of screams and panic. me and pete stood up, looking around frantically. the kitchen was on fire, and all these people were still in the building!

i rushed out of my seat, scurrying to help anybody that needed it. pete stood behind me, a firm hand on my waist. "come on, we need to go!" he shouts, starting to pull me towards an exit.

i start to agree before i hear yelps of help from the direction of the flames. i could make or break this date, and i think i'll break it if i'm being honest.

i look at pete, and press my lips to his quickly. he widens his eyes, taken back that i would kiss him especially in this state of time. i pull away from his grip, smiling. "wait for me outside, i'll be right out!" i say loudly, before running and jumping over the counters to the kitchen. pete stood there, reluctantly wanting to go outside. he shook his head before following far behind.

i bring my shirt over my nose, coughing harshly as i winced through the smoke. the distinct yells for help still occurring. i could hear things burning and falling, i barely was able to see, so i made sure to walk at a steady pace. "help me, please!" a teenage boy, sat fearfully.

i coughed once again before yelling through the hem of my t-shirt. "come on, we have to go!"
the boy turns his head in my direction, his face lighting up. "oh my god, a firefighter! please help!"
i groan, crawling over to him as beads of sweat drip down my face. "there's an exit over here, we'll burn in here if we don't get out." i continue to yell, making the boy stand up.

i winced in pain as i touched hot ash, hissing out of despise. i swung and arm around him, and guided us through the hot air.

once i caught sight of daylight, i started picking up the pace. an emergency exit door was surrounded by small flames, while the biggest ones were raging next to it. "go through the door." i instruct, letting him jump over and finagle with the keys. he budges the door, whining. "it won't work!" he says.
"try again! try again!" i protest, covering my mouth as much as i could.

"y/n!" i could hear pete's voice from down the doorway. "what the hell?!" i shout, as i catch sight of him. he exclaims a small 'ouch', as he tiptoes his way over. "i told you to wait outside, goddamnit! you could've got killed!" i yell, feeling a little woozy from the oxygen loss. "i wasn't gonna let you go by yourself! what's the kid doing?" pete asks, doing the same thing with his shirt as i am with mine. "i'm trying to open..the door!" the kid continues to struggle.

next to us, the ventilation of the ceiling crashes on the floor, making me jump. "let me try, for god's sake!" i shove the teenager to the side. taking the burning metal keys into my hands. one by one, i try each key. "come on, it's hot!" the boy complains. "no shit!" pete remarks. i finally reach the key on the last hook, as it clicks and the door swings open to the outside. i yell in victory as the boy pushes past me and topples me over. lightheaded, i stumble backwards, relying on pete for balance. "you're fantastic, y/n." he says, scooping me up bridal style. i smile faintly, coughing harshly.

firetrucks surrounded the whole street, as firefighters rushed into the building to put out the flames. pete carries me to the front, rushing up to an ambulance for help. i look at him hazily, wincing. he looks at me, panic taking over. "no, don't pass out now. come on, stay awake.." he ushers before my head reels and my vision goes dark.

beep.
beep.
beep.

i flutter my eyes open, my legs and arms frozen in shock. i adjust my eyes to the darkness outside, and the bright of the room. i look to my wrist, an iv was stuck in it. a heart monitor was standing to the right of my bed. i wonder how much this hospital bill is gonna be. i think.

a nurse pops her head through the doorway, her eyes lighting up when she sees i'm awake. "miss l/n, you're awake!" she says quietly, walking over to the side of me. i'm about to open my mouth to speak before she shushes me. "shh, there are some people here who want to see you."

two men and a woman walk into the room. i blink to get the tears out of my eyes, focusing on who they were. pete, nick, and sam.

"oh my god," sam mutters before rushing to my side. "i thought maverick was playing around when he called me." she says, taking ahold of my burnt hand. i flinch, but smile. "you gotta do what you gotta do." i reply raspy. "pull that shit again, and i'll kick your ass." sam points a finger, at me, wiping her tears off her cheeks.

"you had us scared to death." goose says, crossing his arms. "i'll try not to do it again, sorry." i chuckle, immediately regretting it as my chest hurts.

maverick takes citrus' place as he walks on over to me. goose and citrus eye each other before leaving the room. the nurse leaves too, closing the door behind her.

"are you okay?" i ask in a hush-tone. pete nods, pulling up a chair and sitting next to me. "is that kid okay?" i ask another question. he replies with a nod again. "you terrified me back there." he says, shaking his head. i frown. "i'm sorry." he looks up at me, his eyes grim. "you could've died."

i frown slightly, biting my lip. "i had to help." "you didn't. you could've just went outside. simple as that." his voice raising, he clutches onto the bedside rail. i shake my head. "that kid could've died too. i couldn't live with that. could you?" i look at him, as his gaze wanders to mine.

pete shakes his head. "i couldn't."

"then i'm right." i state. a few seconds pass before i sigh. "how long did she say i'm in here for?" "a week." he responds. i groan. "i'm gonna miss so much training." "it'll be alright. just recover and you can get back in there soon as possible." pete says simply. i sigh, hating life and it's circumstances.

the nurse opens the door again. "i'm sorry, but visiting hours are now closed." she speaks warmly. pete touches my shoulder before standing up. "i'll come visit." he smiles.

i grin. "i look forward to it."

-