one

"lieutenant l/n!"

i walk into my commanding officer's office, hands placed at me sides. i clench my jaw a bit before starting. "yes sir?"

"i have some news. you're going to top gun."

i widen my eyes, taken aback from the statement he just spoke. "excuse me, sir?"

"you're top of the class. best in this whole damn squadron, lieutenant. so, i've spoken with the people there. and we're sending you off. pack your things, you leave at sunset." he says, tapping a pen on his desk.

i gulp. sunset? i think, but my emotions are quickly replaced with pure joy. i try not to show it off, but i smile softly. "yes sir!"

"okay, okay. you're dismissed now."

* * *

whilst im walking into classroom at top gun, i notice three men standing around on the side, eyeing me. the blonde tipped one snickers, then leans over to me. "ma'am, you're in the wrong place. the ladies room is down the hall." he says, a blunt expression on his face. i lift an eyebrow at him.

lieutenant, i suggest you shut your trap and sit down before you have a nice greeting with my fist. is what i want to say but instead i laugh a little.

"never seen a woman pilot at top gun, have you?"

"would you stop picking at people, iceman? and kiss your own ass?" another man's voice sounds as he enters.
"goose don't get him so riled up, he'll take it too seriously."

my head lifts at the other new voice, swearing im hearing things. i look at who just walked into the room. a tall blonde and a shorter brunette. i wince, feeling the color drain from my face out of shock.

"shut it maverick, look at our new classmate." iceman continues to stare at me, making me eye him out of despise.

"y/n?"

i finally look really close at the one man who made think i was hallucinating. but turns out, i wasn't hallucinating at all.

"holy shit, pete!"

seeing him, we run up to each other, wrapping our arms around each other. "it's been so long! wow, you made it to top gun!" i say, looking him up and down. a smile forms on his face. "we both made it, jesus! i can't believe this!"

"checkmate, maverick. sit down with the rest of the others." a man- i'm assuming the commanding officer- says, standing behind the podium. i look to pete- or maverick- quickly before the both of us take a seat in the front.

"folks, welcome to top gun."