three

* * *

"since lieutenant l/n here needs a RIO, i've called in another pilot whom you will make yourself aquatinted with. lieutenant sam hutchins. callsign, citrus." the instructor speaks, making me turn my head so quick.

talk about a flight school reunion... i think, rubbing the side of my neck.

the blonde walks down the rows of chairs and takes a seat in the front. to the left of me and maverick. she doesn't seem to look or bat an eye at me and maverick. i turn my head slowly back to the instructor to hear him.

"...hard deck is 10,000 feet." the instructor says, leaning on his table. "we'll go out at noon. dismissed."

maverick and i look at each other than look at citrus across the isle.

"think she remembers us?" he asks, slowly starting to stand up.

i shrug. "maybe. maybe not."

everyone starts chattering, and lieutenant hutchins stands up with the rest of us.

"you know her too?" goose asks me and mav, making us nod. "crazy how many people you end up seeing along your life." i say, making my way towards the blonde.

she turns around and widens her eyes at how close i'm standing. "sam! oh my bad erm-" i start excitedly but quickly backup.

"do i know you?" sam asks wearily, wincing.

you could hear my heart shatter into a million pieces.

"yeah, it's me! y/n l/n!" i start saying, listing off my callsign and our flight school memories. sam blinks a few moments before her mouth works up into a smile.

"Y/N?! oh my god now i remember! im so sorry, i didn't recognize you!" sam says, apologizing quickly and places her hands on her hips. "how are you? who knew we'd see each other at top gun!"

"i'm doing just fine! i can't believe you're my RIO! oh, and you remember mitchell here, right?" i scoot out of the way so sam could spot maverick, and goose too.

"course i do! damn, has he aged right." she nudges me jokingly. i just roll my eyes.

in flight school, mitchell always some sort of greek god to me and sam. she knew i was always easily flustered, so she'd take the opportunity to investigate me throughly on my feelings for him. (they went past platonic just once, and she never let it go.)

"excuse me, ladies, i don't mean to ruin your moment here. but i would like this room cleared out." the instructor says, looking at she and i.

i smile awkwardly before ushering the both of us out of there.

"hey hey sam!" maverick says as we all finally meet up in the hallway. "citrus..now that's a good one...how'd you get your callsign again?"

"im from florida, dumbass." she retorts, punching him in the arm. he grit his teeth in protest as she spoke. "since when did you get so smart maverick?"

"it grew on me." maverick says coyly before starting to speak again. "citrus, this is goose, goose this is citrus." pete introduces them as we all walked along aside each other to the lockers.

"checkmate!" hollywood calls out from down the hallway. he ran up to walk alongside me.

"how can i assist your duties, hollywood?" i ask, crossing my arms.

"we're all getting together and playing a game of volleyball later tonight. figured you and your new friend would like to join as a 'fun activity'". he air quotes, making me scoff.

"if i showed up, you would all lose." i say sarcastically, a grin placed on my face.

"well then prove it. bring maverick and goose too if they want." hollywood says, winking and then walking off another way.

"what are we participating in now?" goose asks, and i turn around.

"a nice game of volleyball is all."

-