eighteen

today is the day.

the day i've been looking forward to my whole flight career.

i'm adjusting the buttons on my white uniform, my pilot's hat tucked underneath my arm. looking in the mirror, a smile forms on my face while analyzing myself.

i finally feel together again. my hair slick backed into a uniform bun, my outfit neatly ironed and clean.. i haven't been this well kept since i arrived at miramar.

it's been a minute since i've been this excited to go back to the station. considering, i haven't touched a plane since-

"-hey!" pete mitchell knocks on the bedroom door, while walking into the sunny bedroom.

my face lights up even more when i see him.  "you're early," i mention, eyeing him up and down (even though we're wearing the same thing). "you look nice."

"eyes up here, hm?" he teases, crossing his arms.

i roll my eyes, placing my hat firmly on my head. "get out of town."

pete chuckles a moment before leaning in to place a gentle kiss on my cheek. so meaningful, but careful.

completely opposite than the maverick who flies in the air, i'd say.

as he pulls away to hold my gaze, he holds my hands. "are you nervous?"

i scoff, baffled he would even ask that sort of question. "what kind of question is that?"

pete turns my hands palm up, tracing the lines with his fingers. "your hands are clammy as hell, y/n."

"i'm nervous as hell, too." i reply to his question, going to rub my hands on my pants embarrassingly.

so much for trying to relax today.

he shakes his head, rubbing my shoulders with reassurance. "no matter what, you did fantastic here. it doesn't matter what happened, because you got through it. okay?"

mitchell has been heaven-sent this week. the first thing he'd do in the morning is make sure i was doing alright. whether it was giving me a call or coming over with bradshaw to play a few rounds of blackjack; it sure kept me company.

a house can be so quiet by yourself. and i never realized that till she was gone.

"you're right. you're right." i nod in agreement, huffing out of anxiousness. just because he says those kind words doesn't mean i'm not nervous, still.

pete cracks a grin at me, "nevertheless, we're going out for drinks after."

i laugh a little. "maybe you and goose will do some famous karaoke," i suggest while we start to walk out of the bedroom, "-that would sure brighten up my night."

"i'm sure i could fit that into my schedule," he replies, looking at his watch amusingly. swinging the front door open, pete glances at me. "besides, i've surely got the wingmen to do it with."

"oh god, don't get everyone wrapped into it. that'd just give me a headache."

-

filler chapter again, sorry!
the next one is a big one (and the last one) :')