Chapter 12

(Tait's P.O.V.)

I ran past the trees as they blurred past me in a haze. An evil plan was forming in my mind, one that could take me to a place I may never get back from. All I had to do was follow the stench of the unsuspecting prey. Hell, Casey may thank me for this in the end and it'll be worth it. Worth everything. I couldn't lose her, I just couldn't. I knew if she was miserable her life would be hell if he made her stay with him. He caused her too much pain already and it was only fair he got a taste of his own medicine. With the human blood pumping through my veins I was unstoppable, stronger, and faster. What would take someone normally days to cover distance wise would take me mere hours. I let out a haunting laugh that echoed off the trees around me as I thought about what I was going to do to him. I could practically taste it....

***********************************************************************************************

(Casey's P.O.V.)

After I finished filling in Aunt Tina and the cousins about what had happened since the last time I visited I patiently waited to get bombarded with questions and accusations. Tina loved Tait like he was already my mate, she had hoped my transition into being part vampire would allow me the chance at a different mate besides Haden. Judging by the look on her face I knew it was just hope she had no facts to support that. She was mated to a vampire from the get go. Her pack hated that she was mated to the enemy and tried to refuse their partnership. Tina fled to be with her soul mate and moved all the way out here. He turned her so that they could age together, yes, she will still grow old and die unlike her husband but at least this way they get a longer time together. When they decided to have kids, they had no idea what the end result would be. All wolf, all vamp, half and half? They didn't find out for a while. Robin was all wolf, but had slight vamp tendencies like preferring her meat on the bloodier side and a slower aging process. Erin and Alana are all wolf and had just recently shifted for their first time on their sixteenth. The boy however took straight after their father, no wolf in them at all. They haven't hit the age where they would officially stop aging yet but I know the girls will be jealous of their always youthful appearance.

After I got the chance to sneak out of the massive kitchen, I took Emily around the outskirts of my Aunt's property. It was a mostly secluded area surrounded by trees to help hide them from unwelcomed eyes. Dead leaves and twigs cracked under our feet and the smell of pine wafted up our noses. Emily was amazed by our vast property. After walking for about 10 minutes she couldn't help but shift and run around transfixed by all of it. I smiled wistfully at her as she padded around. I didn't shift on my 16th I was too nervous and now well I wasn't sure if my vamp genes would let me. I raced Emily to the waterfall on the back end of the property and when I won, she pushed my into the stream just before the cliff. Chuckling I shook the water off as she ran back to the house to get away from me as I yelled about how sweet payback will taste!

I settled on the edge of the cliff with my legs dangling over the edge as it dropped off into the roaring ocean below. Sighing peacefully as I watched the sun set in the horizon. I forgot how calm everything is here, and I kind of missed it. This place felt more like home then the Deep Oaks or Red Rivers ever did. I closed my eyes and turned my face into the salty breeze as I tried to soak up the fading warmth of the sun. Lost in thought and in the moment, I was jerked back into reality when I heard a stick snapping off to my right. I jumped to my feet facing the sound and crouching low ready to strike if need be. Through the shadows a large black wolf slowly stepped into the light, ears pinned back and head held low. I hissed in a breath as I stared into Haden's eyes. Growling lowly I went to yell at him when a flash of something caught my eye behind him...

*********************************************************************************************

(Haden's P.O.V.)