52.

A/N: super unedited!

***

Romir's POV:

All the pacing I had done was worth it. Seeing this moment. Seeing her step out. She looked so beautiful in that dress. I had figured she'd throw it out, not wear it.

As I knew it would, she made it look more attractive than I ever could have imagined. Seeing her body shake and her eyes widen, I wanted to gather her in my arms and kiss her. There were many words left unsaid. I hated seeing that pain and hurt in her eyes that I'd caused her.

Even if she never wanted to see me again, I wanted to see her. I wanted to tell her the truth. I needed to before she decided she never wanted to see me anymore. The thought made my chest tighten.

"You look good in red," I said, keeping my emotions at bay. I didn't want to scare her away.

"Romir, I...I don't know what to say."

"You can say it's cheesy. I'm not very good at this." I glanced down at the flowers. "Don't worry. I didn't pick these up from the bin."

She opened and closed her mouth. Then she shook her head. "What are you even doing here?" she asked, exasperated.

"I planned this to talk to you. Your parents helped."

She shifted on one foot, rubbing an exposed arm with the other. I gauged her reaction as I moved closer to her. There was a slight breeze that pushed her thick hair back, away from her face. She reached out and took the flowers, staring down at it before peering up at me through her lowered lashes.

So beautiful.

My breath, my words caught in my throat. I didn't think I would ever feel this away again after what happened with Anjali. I was sure that she was the first and last woman I'd let into my life.

"I know it's strange that I have a history with your sister," I said, noting that she hadn't moved away. My fingers twitched to cup her face in my hands and tilt it up. "You're mad that I lied. I understand. I figured the outcome wouldn't be good either way. The guilt was eating up at me every time I saw you. I was mad at myself for being a coward." I bent my head down a little to meet her gaze. "I promise, I never married you for revenge."

The wind whistling through the gaps of our silence made my jaw shift from side to side. I needed something from her. Her indifference was enough to choke me. "I don't want a divorce," I finally said, firm.

She finally opened her red painted lips. I zeroed in on them, wanting to take them in mine, remembering how soft they were when we'd slept together. A fire blazed through me at the reminder but I remained stoic.

"I don't think that's a good idea," she whispered. The words didn't register until she spoke again. "Everything led up to this, Romir. We won't last."

My muscles shook, an ache in my ribs. I strained to control myself. "Why?" I managed to ask.

"We got married knowing we would never work out. It was only to please our parents from nagging us. There was no foundation to it."

"That's not a valid reason."

"What do you mean?"

"People can change."

"People don't change," she said with a scoff. "I appreciate that you're doing this. This is all very sweet of you and I forgive you. I do. Anjali told me everything an I'm so sorry that I've only ever treated you like crap." She held the flowers out. "But I'm still of the opinion that we should go through this divorce amicably."