32.

I slept the day away and when I woke up, it was to something that smelt amazing. The waft of roasted meat, ghee and spices pierced through my nose; it was awfully familiar.

I took a quick shower to get rid of the rank, bitter smell I was emitting before coming out. My stomach rumbled and I stopped near the living overlooking the kitchen.

There was my huge pot that was usually unused, sitting on the stove. I spotted my untouched mug from earlier, neglected but now washed and chilling on the drying rack.

Huh.

Coming closer, the smell from before became stronger and I recognised it almost immediately — it was biryani! And it had to be chicken.

My mouth was overworking and I had to swallow several times to get rid of the excess drool as I tried to hold back the grumbling in my stomach.

"I figured you would be hungry," said a voice from beside me. I hadn't even seen Romir on the couch in the living room. The TV wasn't on. The laptop was on his lap and he had paused whatever he was doing to speak to me. "Eat."

I looked at him and then at the stove where the pot was. He made it? I didn't allow my chest to expand because the only reason he did this was because he pitied me. I mean, he did see me be a complete mess when Varun came over and how vulnerable I was.

My ears burned and I reached up to rub it. "I'm not hungry," I mumbled, "but thanks."

Instead, I grabbed the mug that had been cleaned and took out another green tea bag and heated up the water. I took out my phone from the back pocket of my sweatpants and scrolled through my contacts.

I clicked Jade.

Me: dude, varun literally came to my house demanding why I left abruptly last night.

She responded a few minutes later, after I poured my water into the mug and headed into my room without looking at Romir.

Jade: crap, fr? Cant the guy take a hint?

Me: ik.

Jade: how you doing babe? :\

Me: i was a mess but im doing better now.

Jade: does romir know about the drama with your ex?

I bit down on my lower lip, embarrassment coursing through my veins.

Me: yeah. I mean I had never told him the details but he knows now lol.

Jade: im sorry.

Me: its not your fault varun caused a scene. It was my fault for letting my emotions get the better of me. I really wish I hadn't stormed off last night.

Jade: dont start blaming yourself. Fuck him. Yk what, block him!

Me: I canttttt. I want to so bad but its like a part of me still wants him to text me and to just tell me that this was all a joke and that I'm the one he'd always wanted.

Jade: babe, you know thats toxic right?

I knew it was. But what could I do? I took a sip of my drink when my phone rang. Anjali. I sat there contemplating what to do when Anjali hung up. Then the device dinged and vibrated under my palm.

A text message popped up as a banner and I clicked it. Oops. There were a few messages from her already from last night.

Anjali: pls respond. I just want to come visit you. Mum told me you were back.