15.

"You are my guinea pig," I declared, handing him a plate of biryani. It came out looking so good, but the taste...eh, I had no idea.

Jose uncle swallowed hard, face going a little pale before he began to gag. I cackled, holding onto the kitchen island for balance. "Is it that bad?!"

"It's so edible I'm gagging," he said, eyes tearing up. I handed him a glass of water and he gulped that down like his life depended on it. "I'm being serious. At least it's edible."

At least it's edible, he said. I laughed again, covering my mouth. Oh my god, I was horrible at this. I went to take out another plate when he shook his head. "No, no. Take mine."

I snorted and did what he asked. I spooned rice into my mouth and cringed; the rice was hard and the chicken tasted like bland rubber. My jaw was starting to ache as I chewed and chewed.

And chewed.

"I can't," I mumbled through a mouthful. I grabbed a tissue and spat in it. "How did you swallow that?"

"I tried very hard." I shook my head and stared at the large pot I used. I was going to be wasting so much food. Bad food, but still food. "Don't worry. This was your first try, yes? You'll get better the more you practice."

The door opened and closed. Romir. Well there's go the fun and peace, I thought, taking the plate of food and dumping it into the bin.

"Romir," called Jose uncle, going over to him as he walked into the kitchen. "Arshia made some chicken biryani." I snapped my head toward him as if someone had cracked my neck. I gave him a look that I hoped read 'don't you dare' but he completely ignored me. "You want to try some?"

Romir looked at me, then at the big pot of food behind me chilling on the stove, then looked away. "I already ate," he said, "but you two go ahead." He manoeuvred around Jose uncle and headed through the curtain, disappearing behind it.

I frowned.

Jose uncle scratched his head. "Don't take it to heart." He didn't bother elaborating.

***

It was the night we were going to the pub. Apparently Romir was cool with going because he'd asked if I wasn't getting ready. So I did.

My skin broke out into goosebumps and looked out the balcony window. "Is it cold outside, do you think?"

"I heard it was going to rain," Jose uncle affirmed.

Crap. I headed back into the room and grabbed my cardigan from my suitcase when I saw something poking out from under the mini shelf near Romir's side of the bed. It was on the floor.

Shimmying on the black woollen cardigan, I walked over and bent down. It was a worn, square-shaped photograph? I didn't know. I picked it up and turned it around and it actually was a photo.

A photo of an unfamiliar girl with straight black hair and deep-set cat-like eyes with thick winged liner that I envied. She was standing next to a younger looking Romir.

Actually they both looked super young and she looked like she was even shorter than me. They had their arms around each other, smiling into the camera; it looked like a selfi—

All of a sudden it was snatched from my hands and I whipped around, my heart beating in my ears. Romir glared down at me, expression livid and the hazel in his eyes darkening to a near black.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" he asked. Uh oh. He was definitely mad.

"Sorry," I said, knowing I was in the wrong. I got up. "It was on the floor and I picked it up—"