50.

A few days later and I was back to eating my stale eggs and tea; no more experimenting meals with Romir or trying out his good food. It was just me and my lonely house.

I tried to call the law firm where I was working at before, to find something to do other than go to my other job and come straight back home, but it was just bad news after bad news.

"You were one of the best interns I've ever had," my supervising lawyer had said, "but unfortunately, that position's already been filled for this year. I'm sorry. Try again next year."

I sighed. It wasn't any use. They'd already found someone to replace me. Of course, I wasn't even a full-time employee there just yet but I had a guaranteed role and everything. If only I'd stuck out for just a few months longer...if only I hadn't listened to Varun.

There was no one to blame but me. I didn't have to listen to Varun.

"Arshia," someone hissed. Amber pointed to the door that had customers flowing through. I put my phone in my pocket and hurried over behind the counter. I straightened up, dusting down my blue top and fixing my hair to look presentable.

"Hi, welcome to..." I trailed off seeing Romir waltz in, hands in the pockets of his brown jacket. Didn't he have work? He wasn't in uniform. He was dressed neatly in a white v-neck and jeans.

My heart thundered in my throat. What the hell was he doing here? Where was he even staying? Did he come here to buy flowers for my sister?

It doesn't matter who he's here for. You're the one that pushed him away.

Right. It didn't even matter. I forced the peppy smile back on my face, trying to look him straight in the eye.

"Hi, sir, welcome to Smell the Roses. Do you need help with anything?"

He scratched at his stubble. "Which flower would you recommend?"

"Just one is hard to pick."

"This is for someone special," he said. "I want this to be perfect."

Someone special. A lump grew in my throat. "All the flowers here are perfect in their own way, sir," I said, trying to remain calm.

"I can't buy them all. Unless you'd keep the rest."

I faltered. "You're being inappropriate, sir."

"It's inappropriate to ask for recommendations?" He knitted his brows and hummed low in an exaggerated act of sarcasm. "That is your job, correct?"

I sucked in a sharp breath, forcing myself to unclench my fists and let them relax on the counter. You're working, Arshia. Professionalism was key.

"Roses," I relented. "You can't go wrong with them."

"Here I thought you'd say calendulas."

I stiffened. Those were my favourite flowers. He remembered? Stop making it so hard for me. Those words nearly slipped out if I hadn't remembered what had caused us to fall out in the first place.

"Why?"

He looked me straight in the eyes. "They're beautiful, but often looked over."

I tried to ignore the jumping of my heart and walked over to the pot where the calendulas were held. I wrapped them in paper before handing it to him. The entire time I could feel his gaze on me but I wanted nothing to do with it.

It's always the other woman.

"Have a nice day," I said, and then turned away from him, welcoming the other customer that had walked in.