176 - The Queen's Past

Start from the beginning

Ken ducked under the fist, punching the man in the stomach. The man keeled over, but before Ken could punish him the other man came charging. Ken dodged the kick, allowing the second henchmen to kick his own partner.

Ken pressed the barrel of the gun to the back of the second guy's head, hands still shaking.

"W-wait..." The man spoke.

"I said one chance." Ken whispered sadly, closing his eyes shut as his hands steeled themselves. With another bang, the second henchman fell to the ground dead, with a similar hole through his head.

The first henchman looked up at him from the ground with wide eyes. He shook in fear and started to crawl backwards.

"I'm sorry." Ken whispered, cocking the pistol and shooting the final man before he could get up and run.

Ken looked over to the girl, who was staring at the whole scene in shock. Ken rushed over, grabbing the girl in a hug.

"I'm sorry you had to see that." He whispered to her. "You're okay now."

And as I looked at Azeroth's shocked face sitting on Ken's shoulder, I realized something.

Huh. So that's who she is.

And then it was like someone hit fast-forward. Memories flooded my brain of their travels in the post-apocalyptic world, and I saw, even if only for a second, every day the two spent together.

For five years.

Then, suddenly, we were somewhere else.

"When are you going to tell me about yourself?" Azeroth asked. She was older now, about the age of a teenager.

The other Ken had grown older into a young adult, his face lightly aged and stubble on his chin. A noticeable scar cut across his lip and cheek.

"What do you mean?" Ken asked.

The two were sitting in an abandoned building, surrounding a maintained fire. The two of them sat there, taking a short break from their travels.

"We've been traveling together for five years. And not once have you told me about yourself. Or about why you act the way you do." Azeroth continued.

Ken sighed. "It doesn't matter anymore. Not with what happened to the world."

"Please. I want to know about you." Azeroth spoke. "I've told you all about me, and how I got here to Japan."

"...fine." Ken replied.

"Really?!" Azeroth beamed.

"It's nothing special." Ken stated. "When I was your age, a year before the end, I applied for Legacy High. I didn't make it though. The guy who lived in the same apartment as me did, however. A really nice guy...he was very strong."

Azeroth listened intently.

"So I started training and studying harder so I could make it the next year. I think I would've made it, if not for the end." Ken continued. "I'll never forget that day...that's the first time I ever took a life."

He stared down at his hand. "I wanted to be a hero. But things don't go the way you want in this world. Don't forget that."

"There's not much I want." Azeroth replied. "But thank you. Why did you want to be a hero?"

"My dream, ever since I was a kid." Ken chuckled. "Silly, right? We should get to sleep now. Come on."

Ken got his sleeping bag out, tucking himself inside of it. Azeroth followed his lead, getting into her own sleeping bag and falling asleep.

She groggily woke up, confused as to why she felt cold. And that's when she realized she was out of her sleeping bag and on the ground outside. She jerked upwards, having trouble moving her arms. She was cuffed.

"Hey boss, she's awake." The man pointed out.

She looked in shock to her side, where a group of men were. They had captured her. Where was Ken?!

"Finally. I was about to pour water on that bitch!" Another man stated.

"Good. I'm done with him." The boss stated.

She looked at the boss, realizing he was holding a man by his collar. The man he was holding was Ken, his face beaten to a pulp and barely even recognizable.

"Ken?!" Azeroth yelled.

Ken attempted to weakly kick at the man, but was easily thrown to the ground. The boss pulled out a gun, aiming it at Ken with a look of boredom.

"No!" Azeroth screamed.

Bang.

The next thing any of those men would ever see were blue portals. And the face of a woman in utter rage.

I watched as she held the dead Ken's body and cried. And then ripped out some of his hair. And then cried more.

And things started to fast forward again. I watched as Azeroth continued to grow, pursuing something impossible. Until eventually, she reached the power of a Demon Queen through a deal with her Arcana.

And that's when she turned those strands of hair into a new Arcana. Ken Kage.

But it wasn't enough. She wanted more. She wanted Ken Kage truly back. And so to do this, she reset the timeline. Back to one year before the "end".

The day Lupercio conquered the world.

But that Ken wasn't the same. So she rest the timeline again. Over and over again, and never was one of them the right one.

Until finally she hit reset #627.

And after that overload of information, I was back in the Colosseum. Azeroth was no longer under me, now clashing blades with Erica. She noticed I had opened my eyes, and quickly kicked Erica away.

"My Ken...are you back?" She hopefully asked.

"I am." I smiled. "Xena."

"Ken?!" Loki and Medea shouted.

"Ken!" Xena...Azeroth, rushed towards me and hugged me. Erica looked at the scene in disbelief, shakily getting back to her feet.

"I knew it!" Azeroth laughed. "All I needed to do was to find the right Ken...and then return your memories! You're finally back with me!"

"Yes, I am." I smiled once again.

Heh. It's funny.

"I missed you so much!" Azeroth grinned.

"Me too." I replied.

Despite what I thought when I first came here...

"No, it can't be..." Erica gasped.

"Now, what should we do, Ken?" Azeroth asked.

I was never a mob.

"It's simple." I fake smiled for the final time. "Die."

"Huh?"

I placed the barrel of Loki against her head.