Part Fifteen

The group had woken early the next morning and packed up before heading for town. They had been walking for half the day when they reached the town came into view. Rael had fallen into step next to the pod, behind Mando and Cara. Kuill rode a bit behind them on the last blurrg.

Rael had begun to feel uneasy when she noticed how the two hunters dropped back a few steps and placed themselves between her and Kuill. They had trapped the majority of the group between them and Karga, who was in the lead. As they approached a cliff face, overlooking the town, Karga stopped.

The young Jedi felt the two hunters take a step closer to her as she glanced down at the kid's pod. She was thankful it was sealed, since he had been sleeping most of the day. "I guess this is it...", Karga sighed as he looked out over the town, keeping his back facing them.

Rael heard the all too familiar buzzing of stun cuffs and a taser, like Mando had used on her, from behind. The girl summoned the Force around her as she prepared herself to protect the child and her friends. But before she could process a single thing, Karga spun around with both of his blasters drawn, shooting the two hunters behind her.

Cara, Mando, and Rael stood there in shock for a moment as the Guild leader walked past them and kicked the blasters, cuffs, and taser from the limp hands. "There's something you should know. The plan was to kill you, then take the girl and kid..." He said as he dropped his blasters. "But after what happened last night, I couldn't go through with it." He added.

Mando and Cara kept their blasters trained on his chest as Rael and Kuill moved to stand beside them with the pod. "Go on. You can gun me down here and now and it wouldn't violate the Code. But if you do, she and the child will never be safe." Karga declared. Mando cast Rael and the pod a glance as Cara snapped, "We'll take our chances."

"The Imperial client is obsessed with obtaining these assets. You tried to run, but where did it get you?" The nervous man questioned. "This is ridiculous." Cara huffed at Mando, but Kuill said, "Perhaps you should let him speak."

"Listen, we both need the client to be eliminated. Let me take her and the child to him and then you two-" Karga began but Mando cut him off with a firm no. "Let's just kill him and get outta here." Cara said as she took a step close to Karga. "He's right..." Rael said hesitantly.

The others turned to look at her. "I know these people. Once they've got your scent, they won't let up. And I can't risk leading him to where I have to go." She said more firmly. Mando stared at her for a moment before holstering his blaster. "It's clearly a trap!", Cara exclaimed to them.

Mando ignored her and told Karga, "Bring me. Tell him you captured me. Get me close to him and I'll kill him." Karga nodded his head and hummed, "That's a good idea. Give me your blaster." Mando handed over his blaster and Cara threw her hands in the air. "This is insane!", she said loudly. "It's the only way." Rael told her with a sad smile.

"Well, I'm coming with you then." The shock trooper declared. "No, no, no. That would make them suspicious." Karga told her. "Tell them she caught me.", Mando suggested. The leader shook his head but gave in, "Fine, then she can bring the child."

"No. The kid goes back in the ship." Rael told him. "But without the child, this doesn't work!" Karga exclaimed. "It will. Kuill ride back to the Razor Crest with the child and seal yourself in. When you're inside, engage the ground security protocols. Nothing on this planet will breach those doors." Mando explained

Kuill nodded and held out something towards Rael. "Here's a comlink. I will keep the child safe.", he told her and turned to Cara and said, "And don't forget to cover your stripes." Cara rolled her eyes but nodded.