48

MILLIE'S POV:

I gasped for breath, my eyes shooting open as the cold, clear air hit me; my body sprang into action as I automatically began to tread the dark water, weakly attempting to keep my head above the surface as I let out multiple yelps; all around me, wild, green-haired heads were emerging out the water, wearing smiles so wide it actually terrified me. Slowly, my senses seemed to kick back in as a great deal of noise came from above me, and I glanced up to see hundreds of people in stands that were packed to the bursting point and reflecting in the lake below, their erupting cheers echoing strangely across the water as I shivered.

"Harry..." I mumbled hoarsely, choking on disgusting lake water as I saw the Champion, carrying a nasty cut just above his eyebrow, but wearing a smile as equally wide as the surrounding mermaids as he caught my eye.

"Mil-!"

I practically threw myself on top of him as he laughed, teasing loudly that he would drown if I clung onto him any longer as he attempted exhaustedly to stay aloft the water. Feeling slightly out of it, I allowed him to guide me through the lake towards the bank, along, I realised, with Fleur's sister, who looked even more baffled than I was. I could see Dumbledore and Ludo Bagman stood beaming at us from land as we swam nearer, along with a familiar man which made me near-on swallow half the lake in excitement.

"Dad!" I called out desperately, pulling away from Harry and kicking my legs so quickly I reckoned I could've beaten one of the mermaids in a race.

"Oh, thank fuck!" Dad let out a booming cheer as I stumbled to my feet, splashing through the water and throwing myself into his arms. "Thank fuck..."

"I didn't know you were coming!" I exclaimed, releasing a breath of relief into his shirt.

"Millie, I nearly challenged you're bloody headmaster for a duel when he asked for my permission to let you participate in this!" he breathed, with a shake of his head that told me he was still quite in disbelief he had eventually said yes. "I wouldn't have missed it for the world..."

"What did you say to Dumbledore?" I asked, pulling away from him with a knowing grin.

"Well, I only said 'yes' the fifth time he asked, of course," Dad explained matter-of-factly, grasping both of my hands in his, "and that was only because your mother thought it was the 'cutest thing in the world', and apparently would've loved if I'd rescued her from a lake at your age...bloody weirdo...after that, I said it was up to you purely because I thought you'd refuse anyway."

"Oh, trust me, it took some persuading from my end as well," I hummed, sending him a grin, "but don't worry, I'm okay... Mum's right, it was cool being rescued from a lake..."

Dad grimaced fondly, saying, "I've missed you, kiddo..."

I beamed. "Missed you t-"

"Come here, you," came Madam Pomfrey's voice, and she seized my arm and pulled me away from Dad, wrapping me so tightly in a blanket I felt as though I was being suffocated.

"Careful, Poppy!" Dad said brightly, loosening the fabric slightly as I let out yet another sigh of relief from sudden warmth.

"Careful? Careful!" She marched forward, jabbing a finger at Dad's chest as he raised his eyebrows fearfully. "Your daughter has just been plunged into freezing cold temperatures, Jake, and you're telling me to be careful? The Black Lake! Last task dragons, this task the bloody Black Lake! What are they going to put towards those poor children next, eh?" she said in a disgusted tone, pushing past him and marching away, still talking furiously.

"Merlin, I'm so scared of that woman..." Dad shook his head, before his eyes flicked to something over my shoulder. "Ah, here he is!"

If I hadn't been warm before, I certainly was now; my heart caught in my chest and my throat went dry as Dad greeted Harry by pulling him into a tight hug - good lord, this boy was shirtless. I had to quickly grab the blanket as it slipped from my shoulders, my jaw turning slack. It's not that I hadn't seen him shirtless before, but the way water was dripping from his dark hair as he ran a careless hand through it...someone call back Madam Pomfrey, because I was about to have a heart attack. It seemed I wasn't the only one admiring the boy, as well; the majority of females in view had their eyes directly on Harry as they whispered giddily to each other, and, trying not to shoot each and every single one of them a glare, I shuffled closer to him protectively.