45

MILLIE'S POV:

"I feel sick," I muttered, sending the newly overly-affectionate couple that was Tarek Jackson and Tasha Adkins a cold look. Harry followed my gaze for a moment, before grimacing, wrapping his hand round the bottom of my skirt and pulling me in the opposite direction to them.

"I'm kind of offended you know," he said matter-of-factly, nudging his shoulder against mine, "I thought Adkins fancied me."

Shooting him a look as he snickered, I corrected him, "The only people Adkins fancies are the people I do-"

"Fancy me, do ya?" Harry taunted, sending me that cheeky grin. I simply rolled my eyes playfully in response, continuing to lead the way through the busy corridors. We had just finished the first day back of classes, and with a certain distractive Triwizard Champion by my side, I had certainly not learned much.

Since Christmas night at the Yule Ball and breaking up with Tarek, it had only emphasised how much Tarek had managed to take over me in every way possible; now, I felt lighter, happier, and free. It had been fairly hard the first couple of days as the realisation of him cheating had sunk in, but, with my favourite people around me, I now found it the easiest goddamned thing in the world. Tarek, on the other hand, had received two more punches in the face - one from Harry and one from Lyra, and now had the burden of Tasha Adkins on his shoulders, let alone the news of him cheating having spread round the whole school in a flash. I was loving it.

Another thing contributing to my high spirits were my increasing feelings towards my best friend, and the fact that, unless my desire for him had caused me to misjudge, he was rewarding the feelings in return. Harry James Potter had genuinely not left my mind once in weeks, and when I was around him, it was all I could do in my power to not at least reach out and touch him, my heart pounding like crazy every time he even looked in my direction. His cheeky smile, his emerald eyes, his voice, him. I deeply expected I'd admitted some of this to him whilst drunk the night of the Yule Ball, but I found I hardly cared, for this wasn't a silly, little, young crush anymore, it was growing into an unfamiliar feeling a lot stronger and scarier, for I was afraid to be the only one who falls. The two of us were in that familiar stage of non-stop flirting with each other, and with someone like Harry Potter - the popular, hot, knows-everyone, Triwizard champion - it was difficult to know if this really meant anything to him at all.

But for now, at least, that was enough.

"She's jealous, that's why," Harry said firmly, glancing at me with a serious expression, "jealous of the most beautiful girl at Hogwarts-"

"Harry!" I simpered, heart warming as we exchanged a smile.

"-McGonagall," he finished proudly, grinning at my expression, "Professor McGonagall, the most beautiful girl in this castle." Snorting, I nodded my head in genuine agreement, ensuring to bump into him as we walked just so that I could feel his hand on my waist as he unconsciously placed it there to aid me.

"Professor, how're you on this fine afternoon?" Harry piped up, stopping in front of the actual Professor McGonagall, who peered over her glasses at him with an already-cautious expression. I sent her a knowing grin.

"What do you want, Potter?" she sighed, eyebrows raised expectantly.

"Please, please let me off my detention later!" he practically begged, running a hand through his dark hair.

"And why on earth would I do that?"

"Because I'm your favourite student?" Harry answered, flashing his lopsided smile that seemed to work on everyone but the Professor stood in front of us.