Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, to the twentieth annual Winters Foundation Gala, as you know it has changed names a few times but the finalized name comes from the combined contributions starting with the sum of my parents wealth going to charities and foundations all over the world to help people. That has been both my mission, the mission of my lovely wife Olivia, and my company" my dad says and as mentioned my mom, and the other executives stand before sitting to the short polite claps from around my room.

"I can say that it also has a large weight on my wife who before the birth of our son Nathanial" he continues gesturing to me for a brief moment. "Told me to get my ass into it's place and show the world that I at least give a shit. Just took some convincing and me to fall in love like a love sick teenager" he laughs the personal leaning of this speech causing his shoulders to rise for a split second that was barely noticeable.

"You were one" Hunter calls out raising his glass of cognac.

"Yes Ambrose I was at the time, also I'm sure everyone here will be pleased to know you will be donating fifty million dollars tonight, please a round of applause" my dad quips a cunning smirk on his lips as people around the room clap likely unaware Hunter was lured into that one, which is confirmed by him muttering with his own smile.

Only my dad could trick someone into complacently having to donate another fifty percent of their charity amount.

 "Now onto the serious part. Twenty years ago I learned of my son's creation just after my marriage ceremony to Olivia, and I see it more everyday, I could see it then. I wanted the world my son and later his two sisters Isabella, and Abigail to grow up where their father wasn't the devil we all know I still am. Two trillion dollars in twenty years isn't enough to pull that weight away. In a way this charity gala is a Rembrandt to my own childhood, a mess that I used to become the art of giving back. But I can't cover the world in my influence or hide them from it. It's just not my style. I wanted to give back to them tonight not just in my donation of five hundred fifty million dollars, eight figures for every year of each of my children's lives. Could you all please come up here" my dad says and we all look between one another before moving.

Standing slowly I straightened my jacket and buttoned it and making sure the cufflinks on my French cuffs were properly placed as I moved ahead of my sisters with my shoulders squared and hands in my pockets.

As we got onto the stage I stopped on the far side and my dad gestured to each of us.

"I'm not great with words or my emotions so I'll make it simple. Abigail my youngest daughter who has always made me proud, she like me is my little warrior, and I can definitely say that the name is fitting. I love you Abby, and I'm happy to have both you and your sister as my daughters".

"Isabella, you have your mothers charm and elegance that is for certain. I can't say or explain what it was like knowing that you were there, and I was blessed with a second child and a daughter. A younger sister with just as much fight as your brother. You all have made me beyond proud and no matter what you all should know I will love you".

He then removed the mic and moved down to me, before looking out at the silent room.

"Nathanial, with you I can't describe being a father of you. You're proud and brave, but kind and compassionate. You have all of your mother and I's best qualities, though admittedly both our stubbornness, and my ego, and temper. I suppose it's what I get for being how I was as a child. I got my chance though. To be the right father, to do my best" I could see him tear up slightly and my sisters used this as their own cue to leave the stage to return to their tables.

"I didn't have a dad to say he was proud of me, I know now he was, and I want you to know I couldn't ask for a better son, you're a good kid, and there is more of myself in you then I would like to admit. I love you dude, more then you will ever know" he says pressing his lips together as I took the microphone from him.

"You did everything right dad, and I'm proud to be your kid" I say wrapping my arms around the man next to me, who accepted the hug while people clapped behind me and for a moment both his pride and external veil slipped same as mine as I hugged my dad.

"Alright that's enough of this sad shit, go back to your chair" he laughs and I join in too before moving off the stage as he finished his speech while my mom moved to me as I walked out a side door onto a balcony that looked over a side street.

I could hear the cars around the city, the late night horns and the wind funneling through the buildings.

"He wanted to do that, you know" my mom says moving to stand beside me as I leaned on the railing.

"I do" I say simply.

"You're his greatest pride, both of ours but as rare as it may seem there is something special about being loved by your dad. Adrian held a lot in in his life. Being a parent gave him a new chance to be the rest of the man he wanted to be" my mom smiles as is reminiscing old memories.

"I think it's the same for both of us. We know how we feel but never seem able to put it to words" I sigh.

"Then you both are a special kind of men, now Arilynn is sitting at a table with your cousin and his girlfriend don't make her third wheel".

I laugh standing and walking towards the door.

"I had no intention of doing so" I say reentering the building and winding my way through the hallway back to the main hall where it sounded like someone was upset.

Moving into a secondary hall I found my dad and Scarlett's father barely a foot apart both men red with anger. Though I could tell it was bad by the age old cue my father had. Clenching and unclenching his fists.

This won't be good.

~chuckles mischievously~ alright everyone that is todays update I hope you all like it, also leave predictions of how this plays out, comment, vote, and share. Anyway

Peace