Chapter Thirty Seven

Start from the beginning

"That was intense" Arilynn whispers to me looking over at me and I softly laugh though it was more of a humored exhalation.

"They've been like this for years I doubt anything will change any time soon" I reply before the doors are opened and we stride into a room ringed in tables with a center space for dancing and a stage where I know my dad will make a speech closer to seven PM.

Separating from the rest I lead Arilynn towards where our table is, paired with Lucian and Amelia which guarantees an enjoyable night.

What was most interesting was how my father interacted with smiles and charm, a glass already settled between his fingers and the other around my mothers waist. He was talking amongst people that were likely colleagues of his. The few that had made deals with Winters Group and had actually done so out of safeguarding a kind future that aligned with my dad's.

There was just something fascinating about watching a master of his craft associate with people that the money he had could corrupt practically every person in this room. Then again my dad never gave a damn about money it had spoiled his relationships as a child, and it seemed that that same lesson remained with him his whole life, because he taught us that too, my siblings and I were the first of the trillion dollar era of the Winters Family.

The dynasty of billionaires the world couldn't stop.

I guess that was why my dad could do what he did, he neglected status or position, he simply viewed his privilage as a tool to make the world better. A devil to some, a hero to others, a friend, and a father to those who knew him personally. That couldn't be forgotten when admiring him.

"You're proud of him aren't you, your father?" Arilynn prys bringing my attention away from him for a moment to my girlfriend.

"How couldn't I be, I'm proud to be that mans son, to be the son of both my mom and dad. They worked hard and I just hope one day I'll make them proud" I say with a soft smile as a waiter came over to our table.

"Bottle of alcohol free cabernet for the table" he says setting the bottle down along with four glasses.

"Thank you" I say pulling out far too much money for a lone bottle of wine, "keep this all, you deserve it for the excellent service this venue had provided my family and it's guests" I add giving the waiter a kind smile as he accepted the roll of money.

"Thank you, master Winters".

"No thanks is needed, I'm the one who should be thanking you" I say nodding to him before he walked off and looking back at those around the table I see them all smiling.

"Class doesn't exist in your mind does it?" Amelia laughs.

"Not for a second it's Nathan, I've seen him do a lot of things in the past nineteen years" Lucian says and I can think of several occurrences, but I know he'll never say a word he knew that about me. I didn't do things for appreciation or reward. I did it because it was worth it, the smiles of gratitude, or even just the shock at generosity, it was worth every second to me. It was also why I did my best to come to these every chance I got, or at lease send contribution.

"It's the Winters Foundation Gala, tonight is about giving back, to helping others" I say a wry smile crossing my lips before I picked up the wine bottle and removed the cork.

"On that note, I propose a toast to tonight, to giving back, and to our friendship" I add filling everyone's glasses while we all took and raised them politely to avoid attention.

After taking a sip I see that my dad excuses himself while my mom finds her seat with Lucian's parents.

Climbing the stairs I see people begin to give him attention even before he reached the mic and tapped it once to signal the cue to him speaking, along with the band stopping halting their instruments mid note.