Three

Heather Savage

Heather Savage

Kate woke up to a serious banging on her apartment door. She slowly sat up with extreme tiredness and let out a heavy sigh,blowing away the strands of scattered hair from her face. She threw aside her blue duvet from herself to get out of bed. The banging came again and she groaned croakily as she trudged out of her small room.

She opened the door to find her crazy best friend,grinning at her while raising a white branded plastic bag. "Ugh. I should have known it's you". Kate rolled her eyes.

"Morning,bestie",Heather walked into her apartment and closed the door herself,"Whoa,you look a mess". She stared down Kate's dishevelled state. Her hair was all over the place,her white t-shirt went a little off her shoulder and her eyes were really puffy. "Did you even sleep last night?" Heather questioned as she followed Kate to her portable living room. It was a small apartment but everything was nice,neat and in order.

"I slept,that's why I'm just waking up". Kate yawned,walking over to her kitchen to take a bottle of water from the refrigerator.

"Honey,it's almost eleven. Very late in the morning". Heather shook her head slightly,placing the plastic bag on the counter and then watched as Kate downed half of the bottled water. "It's seems like you cried all night". Heather crossed her arms.

Kate furrowed her eyebrows at her,"Do I look like someone who cried all night?"

"Totally. Yeah. A hundred percent". Heather zeroed her fingers into an 'okay' sign.

Kate rolled her eyes,opening the refrigerator again to return the rest of the bottled water,"Well,no. I didn't. I'm just tired". She closed the refrigerator to brushed her hands through her hair and tied it up into a messy bun with the hair band that had been on her wrist.

"Anyway __you must be hungry,I bought you tangerines",Heather brought out the tangerines from the plastic bag and placed them into an empty fruit bowl on the counter. "Thank God I'm back in town,who's gonna get you stuff like this?" She teased.

Kate chuckled,moving closer to take a tangerine,"I know. Maybe tangerines became my favorite because you always buy them for me".

Heather also chuckled. "So_what are you doing today?"

"Nothing. Why?" Kate began to peel the tangerine in her hand.

"Wanna go shopping?",Heather grinned hopefully.

Kate rolled her eyes playfully,"I knew that's the sole reason you came here".

Heather chuckled again,"Of course,it's been a while. But don't worry,we'll go have a meal afterwards".

"Now you're bribing me with food?" Kate raised her eyebrows at her.

"Yeah yeah yeah. Now go get dressed". Heather waved her off.

*******************🍔🍟📱😉

Kate watched as Heather made a phone call with her brother. She was having this huge grin on her face while speaking on the phone and Kate shook her head slowly at her in playful disappointment.

".....Oh don't be silly,getting a cat would be best",Heather insisted with chuckles. "Yeah__Kate? Oh,she's...",She looked over at Kate and Kate quickly mouthed a huge 'No' while trying to form a 'X' with her arms. "She's here with me and she'd love to talk to you". Heather smiled cheekily and Kate frowned. Heather's brother suddenly hung up and when the phone rang again,Heather smiled while looking at it,"A video call? Perfect". She then dumped her phone in Kate's hands.

Kate rolled her eyes and cleared her throat softly before picking up the call, extending her arm to smile at his good-looking appearance on the phone,"Hey__Harry".

"Kate! Oh my God,look at you!" Harry grinned at her with a beam,"You've gotten more beautiful". He commented.

Kate chuckled,"Thanks. You don't look bad yourself".

"I know,I know". Harry stroked his chin and they both laughed. Heather also. "Oh,I really miss you,Kate. I gotta come over there first thing tomorrow morning".

Kate narrowed her eyes at him,"Don't you have a qualification exam going on?"

"Oh yeah__bummer",Harry huffed,bursting some air out of his mouth. Kate chuckled again and shook her head at him. "Anyway __I just wanted to see you. It's been a while. You don't even call me __I'm always the one calling you". He then feigned a grumpy look.

"Sorry,I've just been really busy with __stuff".Kate said.

"Okay then. I'll talk to you later. Bye bye,Lovely". Harry winked and Kate rolled her eyes playfully.

"Okay. Bye. Take care of yourself". Then they hung up.

Heather began laughing,"That is never not fun to watch". She took her phone when Kate dropped it on the table.

"My goodness,is he still not over the whole 'Crush' thing?" Kate took some French fries and stuck it in her mouth.

"You're basically his first love,how do you expect him to get over it just like that? Guys don't forget their first loves easily". Heather stated.

"You gotta keep reminding him that I'm older". Kate said.

"Just three years. Duh". Heather shrugged and Kate frowned at her."So you want handsome cool mature guys _like Dexter?" She wiggled her eyebrows cheekily.

Kate's frown grew deeper _if that was even possible,"Get lost".

"Oh don't start pretending you hate him now. We both know he still has a stay in there",Heather pointed her fork at Kate's chest.

Kate sighed,"Someone's gotta remind me to always take a knife with me".

Heather snickered.

******************😩🏠

Kate got back home a little later in the evening after spending the day with Heather. She climbed up to her apartment and was a little surprised to see some guy standing in front of her door. He was leaning against the door with his arms crossed,a leg over the other and he was looking downwards. His simple stance appeared to be attractive and maybe a little familiar.

Kate wondered who he was as she slowly walked closer to him. If he was some stalker or pervert,she would hit the hell out of him with her purse _she was actually ready to do that.

She was ready to _but not until he raised up his head and she could literally feel her heart sinking down to her stomach when she saw that it was the least person in the whole world she expected to be at her door. "Dexter?",She muttered in the lowest voice ever,her heartbeat quickening at its own will.

Dexter smiled when he saw her,moving away from the position he was in before to face her properly. Kate could already feel her pulse running through her whole body _she was shocked to see him and nervous at the same time...and maybe a little happy. "Hello,Katrina. It's __been a while". He said,his voice as cool as the night breeze.

Kate gripped her purse tightly,finding it hard to swallow her own saliva.