She Knows

Marinette sat in her dark room. Her back was pressed to the balcony window as Chat Noir's words ran through her head.

"...you out of all people should know that."

She whined, pulling her knees to her chest.

"What did he mean by that, Tikki? Do you think he knows?"

"I don't think so, Marinette. I'm sure he would tell you."

"But what if he does?!"

"The only way you can find out is if you ask him."

Marinette groaned, hiding her face behind her knees.

"I don't want to ask him."

"Why? The worst he could say is, yes."

"But maybe he didn't mean it like that. Maybe he was talking about something else. He knows I don't like Lila as Ladybug either so..."

"So, you'll never know unless you ask."

Marinette sighed and tilted her head back, staring at the ceiling. The soft moon light that peaked through her curtains darkened, making her look down at her floor. She noticed the shadow of a person behind her and her heart skipped a beat.

"Speak of the devil"

Tikki chimed, flying off into her hiding spot. Marinette's breathing became ragged and she couldn't make herself move.

She didn't dare turn around as she heard the creak of the door next to her. Instead, she pulled her knees even closer to her chest, crossing her arms on her knees and burying her face inside.

"Princess..."

She felt the warmth of someone brush her shoulder as he sat down beside her and she finally managed to speak.

"What do you want?"

"I want to talk to you."

"Obviously."

There was a pause before he started talking again. His face was full of guilt but for some reason, he felt no remorse for Lila.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have left like that. I was just..."

"Angry? Upset? That's absolutely no reason to act the way you did!"

Her voice cracked, tears pooling in her eyes as she finally looked up at him. He felt his heart sink to his stomach.

"You're so..."

Tears began to fall down her cheeks as she tried to form a sentence but instead, it turned into hyperventilating. She found herself gasping for air. Chat Noir pulled her into his arms and held her tightly.
She weakly pounded her fist on his chest as she sobbed, trying to get more words out. This hurt him even more.

"I can't..."

"Shh. Just breathe. Take slow deep breaths."

She did as he said until her breathing became steady again. The blue haired girl closed her eyes and fell into his arms. She rested her head on his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat.

"You should've stayed. I needed you and you left."

Chat Noir didn't know what to say. His ears dropped flat against his messy blonde hair as Marinette squeezed him tighter.
The last thing he wanted to do was hurt his Princess.

She sniffled, finally managing to look up at him with red puffy eyes. She wanted to find out if he knew her secret without giving herself away as Ladybug just in case he didn't know.