Ch. 14

****Trigger warning: Trauma****

A week after the incident, Genesis was back in school, and most people would say that everything was back to normal, but Zach noticed that she seemed different. She was really tired and always had a coffee with her. Genesis never drank coffee before. So, Zach decided once again to go to her house after school to ask her what was wrong.

Zach couldn't go directly after school because he had swim practice but as soon as it ended, he made his way over. He made it to her house by six o'clock and knocked on the door. Alyssa opened the door. "Zach, how can I help you?" She asked kindly.

"Is Genesis here?" He asked. "I need to talk to her." He asked.

"Is it important?" She asked curiously.

"Yes." He told her, even though it might not be. She had to think for a moment.

"Come on in." She decided and opened the door further.

"Thank you." He smiled.

"She's up in her room." She told him. He nodded in understanding and went upstairs.

When he got to her room, he knocked and waited for a reply. "Come in." Genesis called out from inside. She was doing homework while sitting in her window. He opened the door slowly and poked his head through.

"Hey." He spoke as he walked in. 

he looked over and was surprised to see him. "Zach, hey. What are you doing here?" She asked and set her stuff down as she stood.

"I wanted to ask you something." He explained. They both walked closer to each other. Up close, he could see the dark bags under her eyes. "Is everything alright? Are you okay?" 

She got nervous when he asked. "Yeah, of course." She replied, trying to seem calm. "Why do you ask?"

"I just noticed that you've been really tired lately." He explained. "Have you been sleeping alright?"

"Of course I have."

"Okay... then what's up with the coffee?" He didn't believe her.

"What?"

"You've been drinking coffee every day this week. You don't usually drink coffee."

"I... found a coffee place that I really like." She tried to convince him. He didn't believe her and was going to reply but then there was a knock at the door. "Come in!" Genesis called out. Alyssa opened the door.

"Dinner's ready." She informed her daughter. "Zach, are you staying for dinner?"

"Yes, ma'am." Zach replied. Alyssa nodded and closed the door again.

"You're staying?" Genesis asked in confusion.

"Why not?" He replied and shrugged. He wasn't going to leave until she told him the truth.

~

After dinner, Zach followed Genesis back up to her room. He forgot the reason he was there in the first place after laughing and talking with Daniel and Alyssa. "Well, I should let you get to sleep." He said.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Genesis replied.

~