Part 23

Sang POV

Dr. Green closed my door for me after I swung my legs into the car and settled myself in for the drive to school. I was nervous about the day to come, between the boys and my newfound...I wasn't even sure what they were to me anymore. I had called them acquaintances, friends even when it came to Derrick and Karen. They had all proven to be much more involved in my life than I had been aware of or wanted. I noticed with a start that the scenery was moving outside the windows, and Dr. Green had asked me a question I hadn't caught. I blushed and turned to see him smiling crookedly as he kept his eyes on the road.

"What I wouldn't give to see your thoughts right now, Pookie."

I cringed as Will's words came back to me from the night previous, how he would like to have access to see all my thoughts. I was glad for the green light Dr. Green had to drive through. It saved me from a moment when he wouldn't have to pay attention to the road. I wanted nothing more than to find a place I could hide from all the inquisition and lack of privacy. Sean was looking at me out of the corner of his eye and I struggled to compose myself to look unaffected. I was totally failing, and we both knew it. His face became sad and I hated, hated how I couldn't keep my face from betraying how I felt. I hated that I had to keep secrets from him and the others at all. I hated that we were almost at school and I would have to face Karen in Gym, all without giving anything away. For the first time I envied Mr. Blackbourne and his ability to conceal his emotions. I just wanted for everything to go back to the way it was before, even with all the problems the boys and I had. Friday Fall was beginning to look like a nice team project for me and the guys, comparable to a field trip.

A nudge at my hand had me curling my fingers around Dr. Sean's offered hand. I sat and stared at the way my small hand cupped around his big one. He manipulated his fingers so that he had a hold of my thumb and squeezed awkwardly, but it felt right. Friendly and happy and goofy. Just what I needed. He felt familiar, secure and safe. I wanted nothing more than to crawl into his lap and.....

"You know you're not responsible for Volto's actions, right Sang? You don't have to protect him. We are your team. Keeping secrets from us hurts what trust we've built with you."

I froze and gaped at him. Was he serious? I had been asked since I first knew them to trust them even though I was not allowed to know everything about what they did, and I had. It hadn't been perfect, but still I had done my best with what they had given me. They kept secrets from me on a daily basis. I had to find out about their idea to share me from someone else, and he was lecturing me about telling what I knew so they could trust me? I mustered up my best frosty look and raised an eyebrow at him.

"I've managed this far to trust you guys, despite not knowing what it is exactly you are all involved in and what you do on a daily basis. Do you and Mr. Blackbourne tell me everything then? Is that what you are trying to tell me?"

Dr. Green was quiet for the rest of the drive, and I felt a miserable ache in my heart for him that wouldn't go away.

* * * * * * *

The boys were around every corner of the school and I was never alone.

I wondered how Karen would contact me and let me know what was going on with McCoy. I almost laughed. It didn't even matter if they were going to feed me information or not. I would keep my end of the bargain regardless. I sat in the sun with most of the boys around me and scanned all the heads in the courtyard, looking for Gabriel's blond streaks. He was the only one who wasn't at lunch today. I felt the coolness of shadow cross my back and then Silas was right behind me and scooping me up into his lap to envelope me in a warm hug. He ran his fingers through my hair near my scalp. I sighed and closed my eyes, and then mayonnaise and bread filled my senses. I opened my eyes to find Kota holding a sandwich under my nose and urging me to take it with a worried expression. I took it and bit at it, chewing purposely to show him I was eating. He smiled and ruffled my hair.