Chapter Sixteen: True Colours

*JUDE'S PERSPECTIVE*

When I reach the top of the landing, I hear voices downstairs. Sydney is saying something to Valerie.

I stand still for a second and listen.

"You're such a people pleaser," says Sydney in a hushed voice.

"Well, I'd rather be a people pleaser than someone who's cruel for the sake of it," comes the reply.

Damn. Things are getting heated.

It's no secret that Sydney can't stand Valerie. She's told me as much, but I can't understand why she feels that way.

Okay, maybe I can. Sydney feels threatened by her, for one reason or another. She would never confess that, though. Not to me, not to anyone.

I reach the bottom step and Sydney's voice is louder.

"Do you think I like living here with you? You're a freak. And your brother won't stop staring at me and your dad is obviously just looking for a replacement wife, which is why he's all over my mum like a cheap suit. It's toxic here. No wonder your mum left."

I almost gasp at that. I have never heard Sydney speak like this to anyone before.

I walk into the living room and they're both standing a couple of meters apart.

Valerie's eyes are wet, like she's on the verge of crying. Sydney looks at me in horror, her mouth forming a perfect 'o' shape.

"What the fuck?" I say to her.

She tries to say something. Her mouth is moving but no sound comes out.

"Can you explain yourself then?" I ask, anger welling up inside my chest.

Sydney closes her eyes and sighs loudly.

"I'm sorry," she says. "I don't know what came over me."

"It's not me you need to apologise to."

Her face frosts over as she turns to face Valerie. "Whatever."

I wait for her to make eye contact with me again and hold her gaze. Her eyes are wide and her eyebrows are furrowed. She looks both scared and full of hatred at the same time. 

She looks like a stranger.

How can this be the girl I fell in love with all those months ago?

"Sydney," I say steadily. "We need to talk."