Chapter Thirteen: It Can't Be Real

But it is.

Jude Shepherd has messaged me.

Me.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe. At the end of the day, it's just a message from a boy I don't really know. A boy who has a girlfriend.

A boy I shouldn't even be thinking about, let alone messaging.

But it's no use. My fingers are tapping away at the screen and my heart is racing.

The second I press send, I feel slightly queasy.

What if Sydney sees the message?

It's pretty harmless, but that doesn't matter when it comes to Sydney. She already hates me and she is already very paranoid about me making a move on her boyfriend.

But really, what's the worse that could happen?

A small smile crawls over my lips. Amanda Seyfriend is singing her heart out on the screen and Cathy is tapping her foot along to the tune, the sequins on her slippers catching the light from the lamp.

I know I'm dancing with fire, texting her daughter's boyfriend. I know it's stupid and naive and selfish but right now I would do anything to stop those butterflies in my stomach from flying away.

Buzz.

I glance at my phone to see that Jude has sent me a photo of a black cat.

milo says happy birthday too 

It's the same cat as the one on his Instagram page. It has long glossy fur and huge eyes, the exact same shade as green grapes. Its tongue is even poking out the tiniest bit and I can't help but think that this creature is both adorable and slightly deranged.

he's illegally cute, I type back.

I want to put and so are you, but I don't.

He might be cute, but he's not mine and he never will be...