𝟐𝟒

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐞𝐚 𝐒𝐧𝐚𝐤𝐞.

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐃 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐒, Lord Corlys Velaryon and his wife, the Princess Rhaenys Targaryen," Ser Erryk shouted through the room as Corlys' cane clicked on the stones beneath him. Rhaena and Baela smiled at their grandparents before taking place next to Princess Aelora. Rhaenys offered the Princess a timid smile, hoping that her husband will not rush into taking action. Aemond stood with his back facing them, his chin resting on his hand as he watched the fire crackle.

"Lord Corlys," Aelora spoke. She slowly walked in his direction. "It brings much relief to see you hale and healthy again." Corlys offered the Princess a smiling nod. His heart feared for the young woman, she was their future Queen and everything was her responsibility from now on. When the news of Rhaenyra's murder reached his ears, he held his hand over his heart. He wanted to make sure it was still beating. It helped him to remember the oaths he had spoken and the duties he had to honor. "I'm very sorry about your mother, Princess. She was a good woman." Aelora could only give him a sad smile in return, the wound remained still fresh in her heart. When Aemond heard this he turned around to take place next to his wife. Lord Corlys narrowed his eye on the Targaryen male, untrusting of the individual. "Prince Aemond," he said. Aemond stood as close to Aelora as possible. "Lord Corlys."

Corlys turned around, his eyes scanning the room. "Where is your father?" Aelora wanted to mention the occupation being her brothers, but she held her tongue. "Not here," she simply answered. Corlys noticed the hostility in her voice and decided to drop the subject. Perhaps it was best that the rogue Prince was not here. And although Corlys knew of what Aelora had done to his brother, he also knew that this was a game. And in this game it was life or death.

The Sea Snake slowly walked to the painted table to rest his hand on it. He turned to Aelora, "your declared allies?" His eyes rushed quickly over the pawns that were scattered across the table, it was far too few. Aelora nodded slowly, "yes." Corlys frowned, "too few to win a war for the Throne." Aelora kept quiet for a beat. For them it was a war for the Throne, for her it was to avenge her mother. She never desired the Throne, and right now the only thing she truly wanted was to burn the stupid thing. It was responsible for her mother's murder, and she didn't want to sit on it as a reminder.

Aemond chimed in as he placed his hand on Aelora's lower back, "we would also hope to have the support of house Arryn, Baratheon and Stark." Corlys scoffed under his breath, to which Aemond narrowed his eye. "Hope is the fool's ally, Prince." Aemond pursed his lips together as he tilted his head to look at Aelora. "Both Arryn and Baratheon share blood with my house, but all of them swore oaths to my mother." Corlys heard the Princess's words, he recognized them to be her mother's. "As did house Hightower, if I remember." Aelora took her bottom lip between her teeth to remember to keep calm. She needed lord Corlys desperately, and to do so she needed to remember how to be a Princess. But most of all, she needed to fulfill the duties of being the Queen's heir.

But Aelora wasn't easily intimidated, and Daemon's blood coursed through her veins as well. "As did you, lord Corlys," she spoke the words as she held her voice steady. Corlys turned to look at his granddaughters as they proudly stood next to Aelora. He hadn't seen Lucerys and Jacaerys yet, which he found strange since the young boys were never too far away from their sister. But Corlys wasn't in charge here, and he needed to remember that. Princess Aelora inherited Rhaenyra's knowledge and kindness of the heart, he needed to trust her judgment. "Your grandsire's realm was one of justice and honor. Our houses are bound by common blood and common cause." Corlys cleared his throat as he resumed, "this Hightower treason cannot stand." He shifted his weight on his feet before standing completely still. His eyes bore into Aelora's to make she understood the next words and what they meant. "You have the full support of our fleet and house, Princess." When he spoke his last words he bowed his head to Aelora. The princess had parted her lips slightly to make sure she was still breathing.