𝟎𝟑

𝐀 𝐬𝐲𝐧𝐨𝐧𝐲𝐦 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐭.

𝐀𝐄𝐋𝐎𝐑𝐀 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐔𝐏 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐈𝐌, "depends on what you find funny, Prince Daemon." She offered him the same tone as he gave her. He took a sip of his cup before offering it to her. "I do not drink." He raised his eyebrows in response, then turned his head to the beauty of the sea. He wasn't a man of many words, which was perfect for the young Princess right now. She was not in a very talkative mood. She leaned against the short wall and looked over the sea. The place her dear aunt had now found her peace. Daemon's gaze shifted, and Aelora followed. She had found him smirking at her mother when they made eye contact. Rhaenyra saw her daughter standing with the man she knew to be the young Princess' father. She however did not panic. Aelora was turning ten and five in only a few moons and Rhaenyra felt guilty enough for not telling the truth. She and her daughter held no secrets for each other. And Rhaenyra knew that Aelora knew.

"So it is true then?" Aelora spoke. Daemon looked down at his cup, unresponsive. "I suppose your silence confirms it." Aelora dusted off her dress before taking a step away when Daemon answered, "it is." So he knew.

"You knew and yet you never sought me out?" Pain took over in Aelora's voice. She knew that her mother knew, but she had not known for certain that Daemon did. "I had a duty to perform," he simply answered. Aelora looked down at the ground. She had heard her heart shatter a few times. "And that duty clearly does not include creating a bond with your oldest daughter." She did not dare to look in his eyes, and she had no right to question him like this. But he was her father, and she wanted answers, even if it would end up hurting her.

Daemon took a sip of his wine again, resuming back to being silent. Aelora shook her head, she didn't know what to expect but it was definitely not this. Prince Aemond had been watching her, the emotion in her eyes as she clearly looked upset. He was no fool, he and everyone watching could see the similarities between the two. Yet all he wanted to do was run over to her to reassure her that she'll be fine. 

King Viserys took his place next to Aelora. "Your girls are the very image of their mother." Aelora knew he was talking about her cousins, yet she could not help but feel saddened at the word your girls. Viserys gave Aelora a quick kiss on the side of her head, "hello, darling girl." Aelora smiled at him. He then returned his words to Daemon. Viserys knew Aelora, and he loved Aelora dearly. And God bless him, but the man was a fool. Viserys never doubted any of Rhaenyra's children to be Laenor's. And if he did hear such a rumor, he would have their tongue. Daemon did not respond, he only lowered his eyes to the ground. Viserys continued, "a comfort and anguish, as I well remember." Aelora had known of Queen Aemma, but she never met her since she died when Rhaenyra was still young.

"The Gods can be cruel," Viserys spoke. Aelora heard the anguish in his voice and she knew that he regretted that decision he made so many years ago. Daemon looked his brother in the eyes, then looked at his daughter. Aelora kept her eyes locked on the stones beneath her feet. Daemon then opened his mouth, "it seems they've been especially cruel to you," he said, nonchalantly. She shot him a glance but he did not care. Viserys let out a soft chuckle and answered yes. Although Daemon did not often show it, he did care and love for his brother. He found him a weak king, but he respected him as a man. Viserys offered Daemon to come back to King's Landing. "It is time you came home", he said. But Daemon did not agree. He gave Aelora a quick glance before answering. "Pentos is my home," he declared. "And that of my children," he added. Another stab in Aelora's heart.

The rest of their conversation felt like a blur to Aelora. She knew now that this man, her true father, had no place in his heart for her. And he definitely did not feel the need to get to know his oldest daughter, the woman that will someday sit the Iron Throne.

Aelora walked away without saying a thing. She walked over to her siblings who were standing closely to each other. Rhaenyra walked up to them, "take your brothers to bed." Aelora simply nodded and led her brothers inside. They weren't happy about it, but they also did not question their mother.

Jacaerys and Lucerys loved Aelora's lullaby she sang for them every night. Jacaerys had found himself a little too old for it, but he did not tell his sister. Aelora had a beautiful voice, and an exceptional singing voice. She loved singing, especially for her brothers.

Hae se hūra casts bē īlva, sīr jāhor se tubis bona māzigon tolī.
(As the moon casts upon us, so will the day that comes after.)
Se sȳndror iksis brōzare syt ao, gaomagon daor sagon zūgagon naejot udligon ziry.
(The darkness is calling for you, do not be afraid to answer it.)
Kesan sagon kesīr, va moriot, casting ñuha ōños va ao.
(I will be here, always, casting my light on you.)

Her raspy voice always did the trick for them to fall asleep quickly. Aelora had a special bond with her brothers, but the one with Lucerys was more intense. She felt more protective over him since he was much younger than her and Jacaerys. Jacaerys felt the same way, but he would also go through fire for his sister if it meant she was safe.

Aelora walked out, passing a very drunk Aegon who was sitting on the floor mumbling to himself. She did not waste her breath on him and remained walking. She heard dragons screeching in the air. The most gruesome of all, Vhagar's, followed by Vermithor.

Vermithor was never far from Aelora. He kept close, always. Although you could not see him, you knew he was there.

Aelora kept walking, but abruptly halted when she heard shuffling behind her. She quickly took the dagger that she had strapped against her thigh in her hand and turned around, pointing it at the intruder who interrupted her thoughts. Aemond rushed his hands in the air, "I'm sorry, Princess." Aelora let herself breathe again and strapped her dagger back to her thigh. Truth to be told, Aelora did not trust the Hightowers, hence why she carries the dagger.

"I'm sorry, uncle. I should not have pointed a dagger at your face," Aelora stuttered. All the air felt like it had been sucked out of her lungs. She had pointed a dagger at her uncle's face. He could have lost an eye, for goodness sake.

Aemond chuckled, "all is well. I should not have snuck up on you like that, I had it coming."

Aelora never felt awkward, and she definitely never felt like this, whatever this was. She did not understand why she couldn't speak, or why her hands were sweating. She dried them off on her dress and fashioned herself.

"The hour is late, I should return inside." The young Princess walked past the young Prince, making her way back. Aemond did not understand what just had happened, his mind was in shambles. Everything she did made him feel flustered. He did not know how to strike a conversation with the young girl, but he also knew he did not wanted to be far apart from her.

Stolen glances would be the only thing these two would exchange, for now.

✺✺✺