One Sign✔

"Les salauds ont mis le feu à mon paradis."*

Alpha Blondy_Ivorian singer

Norabel

When your world is about to be turned upside down the universe will send you a sign.

This afternoon when I get out of my last class that sign comes as my phone vibrates with an incoming notification. I take it out of my pocket to read the message my mother has just sent me.

Barricades and burning tires at Kafou Marasa. Don't go home by yourself. A friend of mine will pick you up.

A knot ties up my chest as I understand that a protest of this kind means I won't be able to attend classes for the rest of the week. Not because of the situation at Kafou Marasa but because my mother has become paranoid ever since I got caught in a shooting at the local market of Croix-des-Bouquets. A real hassle because I'm supposed to meet my thesis director for a workshop.

I reply quickly to my mother and then make my way through the flow of students streaming up and down the hallways.

Okay. I'll be waiting.

I walk past three departments before turning right when I reach Economics. I texted Keisha early to find out where she would be at this hour.

I spot my best friend easily when I make it to her class. Her gorgeous hairstyle can be spotted from a distance, light brown crochet twists that reach below shoulder length. Today she's decided to style them half bun, half down. Keisha can pull off any hairstyle with the same panache as any model in a magazine and I adore her for it.

The class is almost filled, a signal that the professor might arrive soon. My body slumps in the empty chair next to hers and I don't try to hide my gleeful expression as I watch my best friend hammer the keyboard of her laptop as if her life depends on it.

"Don't make fun of me Norabel or I'll punch you in the face." Keisha's warning comes before I have a chance to tease her about the fact that she always seems to let her procrastination get the best of her.

"I haven't even said anything."

"That's only because I beat you to it."

Last night she video-called me so I could help her pick an outfit. This guy she'd been having a crush on had finally asked her to go out. At the beginning of this semester after three lousy encounters with guys from the Computer Science department Keisha had vowed to never give them a shot and yet here we go again!

"At least tell me the hookup was worth the stress you're going through right now?"

My question finally forces her to look up from the screen a mischievous glint in her eyes as she nods enthusiastically making her twists jiggle. I can already sense that I'm about to receive some spicy anecdote. Of course, it's Keisha so she doesn't disappoint.