Pilot

-Lawrence, Kansas- -22 years ago-

In a nice enough-looking neighborhood, in a two-story house, only one bedroom light was on. 

Mary Winchester turns the light on to Sam's nursery and sets four-year-old Dean down on the floor, "Come on, Let's say good night to your brother." Dean walks over to the crib and kisses the six-month-old on the forehead, "Good night Sam."

Mary chuckles and follows his lead, "Good night, love." Sam giggles at his mother's touch. John Winchester walks into the nursery, "Hey, Dean." Dean grins and runs over to his dad, "Daddy!" John groans as he picks up Dean and smiles, "Hey, buddy. What do you think? Do you think Sammy's ready to toss around a football yet?" 

Dean laughs and smiles at his father, "No, daddy." Mary squeezes Dean's arm and walks past John, "You got him?" John smiles at her then at Dean and glances at Sam, "I got him." The father and son hug. Sam looks at his father and coos, before John turns off his light he smiles at Sam, "Sweet dreams Sam." John then walks out of the nursery and puts Dean in bed.

Somewhere around 2 in the morning, the nursery nightlight flickers, glowing around the stuffed animals on the shelf. In the master bedroom, Mary Winchester wakes up to hear Sam crying and feedback from the baby monitor. She groans and rolls over, turning on the bedside light, and calling out for her husband. Only to turn around in bed to find him already gone. Mary moves the blankets and gets up out of bed, heading to the nursery to check in on her youngest son. On the bedside table, there is a photo of John and Mary Winchester, young and happy. 

Mary shuffles tiredly to the nursery to find John standing there over Sam, "John, is he hungry?" All she gets in return is "Shh". Mary just sighs, "Okay", then rubs her eyes and makes her way back to the bedroom. Mary stops, seeing the hallway light above her and John's wedding photo flickering and the bulb crackling. Mary taps the cover around the bulb and it stops, then looks down the stairs, tilting her head, hearing the TV downstairs running. 

Mary makes her way down the stairs and stops when she is close enough to see the living room, she looks horrified to see her sleeping husband in his recliner and rushes back to the nursery, "Sammy!" 

Mary screams, waking John up from his sleep downstairs, "Mary!" John races up to the nursery and throws the door wide open, breathing heavily, only to see Sam cooing in his crib. John looks around for anything out of the ordinary, then looks at Sam, "Hey Sammy." Sam smiles at his father and John smiles back, then moves his hand by Sam's head only to have blood droplets fall from above him. 

John looks confused, then turns his back to Sam, and looks up. He then sees his wife on the ceiling, blood covering her stomach, "Mary!" As John falls on the nursery floor in despair, Mary Winchester catches on fire.  As the fire roars and spreads, Sam starts crying. John gets up off the ground and grabs Sam out of his crib, runs out of the room, and sees Dean, who met him in the hall, "Daddy!" 

John hands Sam to Dean, "Take your brother outside as fast as you can! Don't look back! Now, Dean, Go!" Dean follows his father's orders and runs downstairs and outside. John looks back to the nursery as the fire spreads even faster and gets louder, almost sounding like a demonic roar. 

John runs back into the nursery, shouting his wife's name in hopes to save her. The fire bursts toward John and everything is engulfed in flames. 

Dean runs down the stairs of the front porch and into the yard, looking back up at Sam's nursery window, "It's okay, Sam." The crackling of fire gets louder as John runs out of the house and picks up Dean and Sam, running farther away from the house as the windows in the nursery explode. 

Later as the Lawrence firefighters show up to put out the fire, John holds baby Sam close and rocks him as Dean sits quietly beside his father. Police officers push back any neighbors trying to get closer and more people to show up to see what is happening. John looks up from Sam, enraged at what happened to his wife.