"No... No, Aonung is my best friend. Not my boyfriend." I say as I look down.

I still can feel his gaze on me, not wanting to look away. And it is making me uncomfortable, because he is not only looking at me, he is observing me and I do not know how to act.

"Really? I thought he was." He says in a lower voice.

I blink a few times before looking up at him and inking my gaze in his. I squint my eyes and tilt my head to the side with a smirk.

"What made you think that?" I ask curiously.

He blinks slowly as I see his ears cutely folding down. He stays silent for a few moments before finally answering my question after thinking.

"The way he looks at you." He says.

I frown as my lips parts away letting a heavy breath out of my mouth. He immediately avoid my gaze and I speak up.

"And how does he look at me?

- Like he is in love." He immediately answers.

He lifts his head up and meets my gaze. Well, he was insightful because it was true. I don't want to throw me flowers but it was the truth, everybody know it. Aonung loves me, and it is unfortunately not reciprocal. I wish it could so I don't have to hurt him every day, but I do not want to lie to myself and to him.

And I am scared to ruin our friendship, so it is better to stay friends, for every one. But now, he noticed how Aonung acts with me, so I guess he was very observant. He is the type to stay quiet and to not talk to a lot of people, but he knows everything about every one.

"Whatever..." I stand up.

He looks at me standing up, not saying a word but I know he looks disappointed.

"If you want, next lesson you'll come with me so Aonung will not bother you.

- Why are you avoiding the topic?" He asks suddenly.

He also stands up and I start to walk away between the roots, towards the darkness between the trees. I turn my head to him and answer him.

"I am not.

- Yes you are..." He says trying to follow me.

I ignore his words and jump from root to root as I can hear Neteyam's footsteps behind me.

"And if you come with me next lesson, Aonung is going to bother Kirri." He says.

I immediately turn to him, facing his tall silhouette. I look up at him as he was unexpectedly getting closer. Well, I actually haven't thought of this, but if I put pressure on Aonung, he won't bother her, he will listen to me, I know it.

"Don't worry about this. I'll tell Aonung to not annoy her." I answer.

He should be satisfied now, his sister is safe. I am about to turn my back at him when his voice interrupts me.

"How can I trust you?" He asks.

I stifle a laugh and turn back to him as I squint my eyes and approach him. My eyes meets his. Silence reign, only the sound of the water beneath our feet was echoing here.

"I am not asking you to trust me. I don't trust you either. And it is understandable." I say.

I start walking away towards the village to get home. His voice still echoes in my ears.

"So, will you talk to Aonung?" He asks.

I giggle and turn to him as I keep walking back to the village. I raise my eyebrows and answer him.

"I don't know, do you trust me enough?" I throw him shades.

He stifles a laugh and starts walking towards me like a magnet. I don't really know what to think of him, he is nice I guess but I still have to get to know him to trust him.

"Well, maybe we should get to know each other so I can trust you?" He unexpectedly says.

Well, let's say this man knows how to communicate. He approaches me, closer enough to see every details of his face. And when you look closer, you can notice how his freckles are perfectly arranged on his face. I smile with my eyes as I look down at his freckles and speak in a tender whisper.

"Smooth."

I look up at his eyes and turn my back to him. And as I was about to leave, he stops me from my track again. He is so obsessed.

"Does this mean you want to get to know me too?

- That means I will think about it." I answer.

I start walking away and hear his voice in the distance, and I realize it is probably the most bittersweet and deep voice I have ever heard before. His voice can be comforting. I see him comforting his little sister Tuk when she cries.

"And are you going to leave me here and wish me luck to go back to the village before you dive in the water?" He asks.

I can't hold back my laugh. My head rotates to face him, he notices my laugh and grins.

"Hurry up before I leave you here." I tell him.

He starts running over me and we both go back to the village together. Silence was reigning, nobody was saying anything, we were just enjoying the sound of the locusts hiding in the bushes and the water crashing on the sand leaving behind it scum.

We arrive in front of his family's hut, I could hear Tuk talking with her father and let's say this hut was quite noisy. But they're a family of six so I understand.

"I'll see you tomorrow maybe." He says.

I politely smile at him, I nod positively and watch him entering his hut, but I suddenly stop him and grab his wrist. He rotates, surprised. And I am also surprised by my move. His eyes widens and his ears lifts up. I love how their ears can express their emotions.

He looks down at my hand holding tightly his wrist, and I immediately let him go. I do not know why I did that. Maybe he was not comfortable with people touching him, plus I am a stranger, I shouldn't have done that. I am stupid. Really. I clear my throat as he blinks a few times and looks away. We both don't want to look at each other in the eyes.

Why are we acting like this? Why's everything so suddenly awkward. I just touched his wrist, why is he acting up? Why am I acting up. Okay, Rhea, focus. Come to your senses. I decide to take control of the situation and to finally speak up, although I think I forgot what I wanted to say.

"Uhm... About Kirri, I will talk to Aonung before the next lesson." I whisper.

He looks down at my hair falling on my shoulder and breast before smiling and looking up.

"Thank you." He whispers.

I watch him going back to his house before walking over mine to meet my mother.

author's note
helloo again;)
first i would like to say happy new year to everyone!!
it still not 2023 in my country but i still want to
wish you a happy new year lol<3

well well well... do you like neteyam and rhea?
what do you think about their chemistry?
are they awkward or comfortable?

dont forget to leave a vote if you liked this chapter:)

xo<3