Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

As I got to the Starbucks I noticed his car parked along the curb, the bodywork spotlessly clean across every surface aside from the wheels where I could see he had driven this car hard.

I also found that each Winters member despite the access to the equivalent of a private showroom of supercars they all preferred a specific brand. In Nathan's case Astons were a go to and I couldn't blame him they were sexy looking cars.

"You know it's weird to just stare at people's cars" that distinctive voice said from behind me and I turned to see Nathan standing and holding two cups in his hands. Dressed in black from head to toe save for the light grey overcoat.

I didn't have a response ready what so ever as I didn't want to seem like a creeper for being where he was the second he was in Greenwich.

"Four months put you in that much of a shock Louviere" Nathan teases and of course his remark is what broke me out of my trance

"Four months didn't make you less of an asshole raven" I quip with a smile and he laughs.

"It's good to see you, actually saw you ogling my car so I thought I may as well get you your coffee order. Mocha cappuccino, right?".

"Since when are you unsure, but yes" I say accepting the coffee cup tentatively.

"In four months things can change, they have changed a lot actually" Nathan says unlocking his car and opening the glove box before tossing his wallet and a second slightly older phone in after.

"Two phones?".

"Work phone, I'm in Greenwich to secure a deal that was yesterday, today I needed to get see about the organizational process of the deal" Nathan states in response before leaning back out of the car and locking it.

"Back to secrecy as well?" I ask and I see the faint smile flash across his lips.

"Nexus Software is a relatively new company and the less amount of people that know about the company's next move the better. Besides no one likes talking about work it just creates stress" Nathan sighs as he picked up his coffee and walked away from the car along the sidewalk.

"Am I allowed to come with you?" I ask and he stops.

"Sure" he says and I was beginning to think that his dismissive attitude was more because he was tired rather then anything. Though knowing how he was I wouldn't be surprised if he had come to Greenwich with his new girl, and she was off doing something else while he worked.

"So how are you enjoying being in Greenwich again?" Nathan asks glancing at me as he took a sip from the paper cup he held.

"It's different considering the last time we both were here you asked me to be your girlfriend, down to the weekend" I say and he was silent for a moment.

"You're wearing the same outfit you wore on the day we met Miss Louviere" he comments side stepping my response.

"I noticed that too" I admit and he nods.

"Are you happy, that's what I want to know, especially since we went from being together to having a four month period of no connection, excluding the night you sent me drunk text messages".

I flushed instantly.

"They are deleted though, right?" I ask giving him a warning look.

"They are, I screenshot them though because I wanted to know a little piece of advice from someone who didn't know either of us or the situation. There is no proof now" he says so casually it blew my mind to think about how he could have this level of self control.

"I'm getting used to not being your girlfriend, I met someone though, and we're dating" I say and Nathan once again nods.

"Derek Halloway?" he asks though it sounded more like he was awaiting confirmation.

"Yes. I don't feel intimidated by the status he has compared to when I was with you".

Nathan's face flashed with emotion for a split second before the dark haired boy licked his lips and sucked in a breath.

"Like I said it takes a special kind of person to love a Winters man Scarlett. Trust me I've met many people that did all kinds of things to get near us and there is not one thing I think makes us anything other then tragically wealthy. Hell it's practically a curse to be a Winters".

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I never explained this to you but the reason there is so few of us who are wealthy is because we made sure that our lineage is clear. Having the kind of money we do isn't as glamourous as it seems there is always a threat, always a buried secret. I've just sort of gotten used to it" Nathan laughs as if it were nothing.

It was difficult for me to imagine living like how we did last year with Carrick De'Vincent trying to get to all of us, attacking both Lea and Abigail. The threats of death, all of it. That was normal to Nathan was heartbreaking.

"So in a way I'm glad you walked away, you deserve to be happy, to find someone who will keep you away from all of the shit that being closely linked to my family would mean".

Nathan looked sincere that scared me, his temper, the ability to always be in control of his emotions. That never scared me, the fact he could keep everyone safe and knew that being who he was, and going into a role that put him as the main focus for attacks the rest of his life made him a better person in my eyes then anyone at Thornbrook outside of our friends ever gave him credit for.

"Did you ever do anything I don't know about to protect me from harm?".

"No, I have always been open with you, even if the truth would hurt" he says as we began to walk through the middle of a park where the fog and sunlight blended together creating a colourful haze.

"Merci" I say and he nodded stoickly before he stopped to look at me.

"Which is why I'm going to tell you this" Nathan sighs and opens his mouth to speak before I hear someone angrily call out from behind us.

"Get the hell away from her!".

Three guesses who, thats the chapter for the day I've also been binge listening to the same song that is more sad because it reminds me of someone anyways, comment, vote, and share its always appreciated. Anyways

Peace✌️