Episode five

"I promised to keep on going but maybe keep going means coming back first." - Patrick Ness

______________________________

Emily pov

The atmosphere in the car wasn't awkward or uncomfortable. But it was a comfortable quiet for the both of us. Even for Reid in the back seat. And even though i think it's dangerous to fall back into the comforts of her being here, i can't help but do just that. As she had left of her suitcase at the apartment she hadn't questioned anything about it, not the bed sofa where it was obvious someone had been sleeping, how her room was just like she left it. The thing about dating your roommate was that one had their own place but always slept in the same bed anyways. But she didn't question it, not even the fact that the things she didn't take with her are still sitting there. Nothing is out of place. I've cleaned, when i took the whole apartment i took that room as well. There where no questions, no talking, just the quiet and the sound of the car underneath us.

Until we get onto the plane and it flies that is, that's when the comforting silence stops. It's a little over three hour flight, so we won't go through the case until we're halfway there since it's pretty big. But the curiosity of the team catches faster into conversation than the case. And no one has a place to run to when you're this high up.

"So, are you gonna tell us?" Morgan begins as we have all sat down and the jet has gotten up into the air.

"Tell you what?" Y/n asks with a small smile. She's sitting by the window seat, next to Penleope. The seat's we used to sit in. I'm sitting opposite next to Reid, Hotch and JJ and Morgan have sat down in the couch while Rossi has turned one of the other chairs our way.

"Oh come on, you're to tell me you've done nothing in the last two years?" JJ asks as it's unbelievable.

"I teach literature to middle schoolers and high schoolers, JJ, there's not much excitement in that" she answers, still not entirely looking my way.

"Oh come on? No friends to tell us about, dates, fun occasions." Morgan continues while the rest of us really just listens.

"Not really, i spend most of my time taking care of the Sarah, Rachel and Oliver. They take up most of my free time"

"What about that blind date you had two weeks ago" Penelope catches up on the conversation. I feel her eyes glance my way as to look for my reaction, and my reaction would be to grab my necklace, but i can't do that when she's here. It doesn't look like she's wearing it, if she is then she did the same thing as me, hid it under the shirt. But we all are a bit surprised even though we knew that her and Pen often talk, guess they really talk all the time.

"My sister set me up with a colleague of hers, he wasn't really interesting" and maybe the fact that he was a HE was part of it.

"Yeah, what about him?" Rossi asks, joining in on the conversation.

"Typical alpha male, narcissist, sexist. He's pro-life and thinks that we should all evert back to the 1950s." Y/n compiles in her list as she leans back in the chair. Letting her gaze walk over to meet mine who hasn't been able to let hers go. The boys laugh at that and i see how her hand rests up on her chest, like she's grabbing something, as she looks at me. "I don't really date." My first thoughts about her hating me and wanting nothing to do with me can't be correct. Not with the way she looks at me, it's as though nothing has changed. Why couldn't i just have moved on. This is both painful and pathetic.

"You still wear the nec..." Morgan beings as he saw what she was holding from where he's seated, but Y/n cuts him off.

"How is your love life Derek Morgan, or is your bed empty for the moment?" she jokes away whatever question he was about to ask. Something she's wearing around her neck. The silver chain that's visible is recognisable. Just as the leather chain around my own neck. We're both still wearing the necklaces. But i'm sure it's just because it was a gift from the team she's wearing it for, not because of what it meant between us. With the magnet of it all creating a whole heart.