Chapter 11

The storm was slowly dying down. It's now just a little bit of rain. I decided to break the silence.

"I'm not completly helpless by the way. Storms are just my weakness." I explained attempting to begin another conversation. He laughed and looked at me with a toothy grin.

"I'm terrified of dogs."

He confessed, his smiled widened. I couldn't stop laughing at his confession with him joining me. Even though I felt worse from laughing, I couldn't help it. Laughter was the best medicine wasn't it? A couple minutes later, our laughter slowly died down.

"I have to use the bathroom." Nathan said as he stood up. I nodded my head. A couple minutes later, the door to the trailor opened and the boys came in without the firewood. They were all drenched in water from head to toe. As they made their way in, I could see a girl slowly follow them.

"Who's this?"

"Her name's Alyssa. We found her walking around the woods. She was looking for her boyfriend."

I nodded my head. Then Nathan came out of the bathroom. Ashton walks up to me and puts his arm around me, getting my clothes wet in the process.

"Ashton you're getting my clothes wet."

He just ignored me and held my waist tighter.

"Who are you?"

Ashton says to Nathan, holding tight onto his knife. His knuckles wupite from his tight grip.

"I'm Nathan." He says confidently and a bit confused.

"And what do you want, Nathan?"

Ashton spat his name like it was a bad taste in his mouth. I have never seen him so rude before.

"Ashton." I hissed at him.

"What." He said codly, still glaring at Nathan. If looks could kill, he'd be six feet under. He then looked at me and his eyes softened. Is he....jealous?

"Ashton. Nathan here has been keeping me company during the storm. He's done no harm. Now quit being rude."

Ash sighed dramatically. The others just looking at us in amusement.

"I'm sorry."

Ashton mumbled. I laughed. He looked like such a little kid when he pouted. He cracked a smile. I got butterflies in my stomach. I looked back at Nathan.

"Nathan this is Ashton, Luke and Michael. The girl over there is Alyssa."

I pointed to each of them as I said their names. They all responded with a hi or hey. Alyssa just waved shyly.

"I'm Kylie by the way. Forgot to mention that when someone, cough Ashton cough, was being rude."

She laughed and waved. Not much of a talker. Ashton was still holding my waist. "Uhm Ash....you can let go now."

He quickly released my waist and look a step back, rubbing the back of his neck as a blush creeped on his cheeks. I felt a wave of disappointment at the sudden loss of warmth. Why did I say something? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I was having an internal battle with myself. I guess I was making faces to go along with my thoughts, because everyone looking at me like I lost my mind.

"What? I was just talking to myself."

That sounded a lot better in my head. Well duh. A lot of things sound better in your head. They all burst out laughing. I just narrowed my eyes, crossed my arms and glared at them all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was sitting on the roof of the trailor, wrapped up in a blanket. It was already dark out and like always, I was taking first shift. Just thinking. Maybe everyone would be better off without me. It'd be easier if I was just dead. All I do is slow everyone down. All my thoughts were interupted when someone sat down beside me. I jumped in fright and widened my eyes.

"Sorry didn't mean to scare you."

"I-it's fine Ashton."

We were sitting in silence when I felt his hand gently grab my arm and pull me into him. He lays down so his back is against the trailor and my head is on his chest. His steady breathing and heartbeat calms me. His arms wrap around my waist and pull me tighter against him. We were sitting in a comfortable silence, just enjoying each other's company.

"Ky?" He whispered, breaking the silence. He sat up and I went with him. His arms were still around my waist. I looked at him. He seemed so nervous. But why?  His heartbeat picked up and he couldn't look me in the eyes.

"Ashton?" I whispered.

"Ky. I know this isn't the place to do this, especially since we could die at anytime, but I....."

He trailed off. I nodded for him to go on. He looked at me finally.

"I really like you Kylie."

I was shocked. Ashton likes me. He likes me. I couldn't help the smile that broke onto my face. I just sat there smiling like a creep. He likes me. He likes me. He likes me. I kept saying it in my head. What if this was a dream? What if I fell asleep during my shift and am dreaming this whole thing? My smile faded. I pinched myself.

"Ouch."

He laughed at me. I glared at him. How dare he laugh.

"You're not dreaming." He said to me. The smile broke onto my face again.

"I like you too Ash."

His smiled widened and he hugged me very tightly.

"C-c-can-n't-t br-re-athe A-a-ash-h."

I choked out. He instantly loosened his grip on me.

"Sorry." He smiled sheepishly while rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's okay."

And we spent the rest of the night on the roof of the trailor, cuddled up and watching the stars.