Chapter 5

"Y-you were bit? When? We haven't even seen a zombie out here."

"Two days ago....I couldn't sleep so I decided to go for a walk. It was still dark and I couldn't see anything really, so I didn't see it was coming after me. It bit me before I could do anything....So I stabbed it in the head and ran back to our shelter. " Luke explained.

"AND YOU DIDN'T TELL US?!?"

"Ashton calm down! Luke you're going to get better. I know you're in great pain but it will heal. You will heal, and everything's going to be okay."

"I could die! I could get infected and become one of those....things. I could slowly die like Braylee did! I don't want that!"

"This isn't like Braylee."

"HOW IS IT NOT?" I flinched. His eyes hold pure rage.

"I just want to die already and stop dealing with all of this!"

He shows me his arm and I cringe. It's not too deep, so maybe it's not infected. It's just the top layer of skin,and you could see the teeth marks.

"I'm....I'm so sorry."

I whisper and lower my head in shame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We all stayed silent for a few more hours. We ended up coming to a road. I looked at Ashton then Luke then back to the road.

"Which way do we go?" Ashton asks.

"I don't know." I respond.

"How about we go left first and if there isn't anywhere safe, we turn back around and keep going straight."

We nod in agreement and start heading left. I was lost in thought when a loud reving of a vehicle grabs my attention. I look behind me to see a truck speeding towards us. Luckily we move out of the way in time before it hits us. But unfortunatly, the loud truck brought a horde of zombies with it. They were attracted to the sound. We are suddenly being surrounded by zombies. Me and Ashton are back to back while he's holding Luke up. We only had small hunting knives and my axe. Not good enough to kill them all. I close my eyes to await death as zombies get closer. I closed my eyes tighter not wanting to see my friends get eaten. My brain accepting the thought of death. I think of all the others who died on my account, Luke and Ashton might die too. All I have done was hurt people, kill people, wiping out the small amount of humanity we had left on this planet. We were going to die. Now was my time. Someone roughly grabs my arm. Thinking it was a zombie, terror fills me and my eyes flicker open. A pick up truck is idling beside us. It's a boy who had red hair and green eyes. I'm a deer in headlights because im so shocked.

"Hurry up! Get in!"

He yells over the commotion. Coming to my senses, I pull open the passenger side door and climb in. He lazily holds onto the wheel and floors it. I'm pushed back into the worn down seat and rock in the truck as we run over multiple zombies. Im still speechless over what was happening because everything was happening. The overpowering stench of the horde flows through the vents making me gag. I turn around to see Luke laying on the backseat covered in blood...lots of it. Ashton is on the back knocking off a few of the stragglers away from the truck.

"I'm Michael."

"Kylie."

He nods his head. Ashton then comes to the front next to me and just looks at our savior.

"M-michael?"

He looks over at Ashton at the sound of his name.

"H-how did you....how did you escape?"