Chapter 7

"Uhh..." I was lost for words. Brain dead zombies. What more could a person ask for on their 17th birthday? I was almost a legal adult, and the world was already ending. Fantastic. I just grabbed a water bottle and sat on the top bunk. I stared blankly at the floor, just thinking. The first few months of this apocalyptic world had been filled with fear and panic. But after so long of dealing with the zombie threat, I kinda got used to it. I looked back at the gap. It was close enough that I could just grab the edge and pull myself up. I did that and sat on the rooftop just watching the zombies slowly move on the ground below. Today was like any other day. The occasional grunts and moans. The slow braindead zombies moving about with at least a dozen each time. They would stumble around but no matter how many disappear to new places, more kept coming keeping a relatively constant number of the undead everywhere. That was one of the things I do in my spare time, I just watch them. Even if it was just to watch them repeat the same actions over and over again. Simply observing them gave me a lot of insight into their behavorial patterns. I got off the roof when the sun was beginning to set. I sat on the window sill and saw everyone sleeping already. How long was I up there for? I wasn't even tired so I guess I'm taking first shift. There was still a little bit of light in here. I looked over at Ashton's bunk and saw him sleeping peacefully. He looked so perfect laying there, with his ripped skinny jeans and messy hair. (5sos fans will get this.) His tan skin, his beautiful green-hazel eyes, his husky voice especially with his accent that just kills me, his abs, his biceps omg they were huge! He was hot. Wait what? The end of the world and here I am thinking of some guy that i've only known for 10 months. I think its been that long at least. I realized I had been staring at him this entire time. How creepy. At least he wasn't awake. He stirred and I quickly looked away.

"Kylie? You awake?"

"Uhm...yeah I am."

"Why? You look exhausted."

"Everyone was already sleeping so I just took first shift. Plus I wasn't even tired."

"Get some sleep. I'll take second shift now."

"Okay....uhm night."

"Goodnight Kylie." He hugged me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*BANG, BANG, BANG!!*

Is what made me shoot up in my bed hitting my head on the ceiling in the process. I was suddenly wide awake. I jumped down from the top bunk and saw Ashton, Luke and Michael fighting off a horde of zombies. How'd they know we were here? We were so quiet. I quickly grabbed my axe and lunged in the fight chopping off as many zombie heads as I could. We fought our way through and ran as fast as we could. We made it to the middle of the woods.

"Is everyone okay?" Michael asked. I heard a chorus of 'yeahs'.

"Did anyone get bit?"

I checked myself and saw no breaking flesh. Same with Ashton and Luke.

"Me either." Michael said. I was lost in thought. We left everything behind. All our food, the water....it's all back at the cabin.

"Kylie?" Luke called waving his hand in front of my face.

"Huh?" I asked, intelligent- I know.

"I said did you get bit?"

"No. Uhm....how are we going to survive now?" I asked looking at all 3 of them.

"What do you mean Ky? We've survived this far." Luke had said.

"Yeah with our supplies." I started

"That we left at the cabin." Ashton finished.

"Dammit!" Michael yelled.

"We'll just go find more, yeah."

"Yeah totally Luke. There's only one problem Luke. How are we going to get it if we can't get the fuck out of here?!" My voice raising.

"Well maybe if we looked for a way out, we'll get-" I cut him off.

"WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET OUT!! WE'VE BEEN WALKING FOR WHO KNOWS HOW LONG IN THESE FUCKING WOODS!!"

He just stayed silent and I walked faster ahead of the others. No one dared to bother me, they knew I was pissed and needed time to calm down.

It's been a couple of hours we found shelter under this fallen tree that had a huge gap in the side. It's really dark outside. I took first shift because I couldn't sleep so I decided to go for a walk. I found a little pond and sat on a rock that hangs over the water. I took my socks and shoes off and let the cold run over my aching feet. I just watched the cringles in the water as the moonlight reflected off it. I took my feet out, let them dry for a couple of minutes and put my shoes back on. I decided to go back and try to sleep. I looked and looked and looked. But where was our shelter?