Chapter 9

I woke up to my stomach grumbling. I don't remember anything from last night. Only up to where I was about to eat a zombie's arm. Ew. What the hell was I thinking? I rolled over in the blankets and looked out the window of the trailor. Wait.... Window, blankets, trailor?! Where was I? Did I get kidnapped? Did someone take me here? Did I come here on my own? How'd I get here? Wouldn't I remember if I came here? Why can't I remember anything? What happened yesterday? So many questions swarm around in my head. I sat up and put my feet on the floor. I stood up but fell to the floor instantly. My legs were sore and weak. I tried getting up, but I didn't have any strength left in me.

"Kylie...what are you doing?"

I froze in my spot. I couldn't breathe. How'd this stranger know my name? But his voice didn't sound strange. It sounded vaguely familiar. Should I look up? I decided to risk it. I lifted my head up and my eyes connected to those green-hazel ones that I knew so well. I was in shock. Eyes wide, jaw dropped. I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. Only one word stuttered out of my mouth.

"A-ash?"

My voice was hoarse for not using it for so long, and my throat burned like a hot branding iron was being shoved down it. He came over to me and set me back on the bed. I put my arms tightly around his neck while his went around my waist. I was afriad this was a dream and if I let go he was going to disappear.

"We were so worried about you. You left without any explanation. We thought you ditched us to be on your own. But Mike saw your axe and knife. That's when we knew something was wrong. We started looking for you. I- uhm we had to make sure you were okay."

I was shocked. They thought I left them purposely? No I need them more than anything. There's only so many people you can lose in life. And I don't want these three to end up as some of those people. We only have each other left. I can't lose them. I just can't....

He kissed my forehead. Tingles were on the place his lips touched and I shivered.

"Are you cold?"

"No, uhm." My voice was raspy. How long was I out?

"I got lost. I couldn't sleep so I went for a walk. I found a pond and sat there for a little bit. When I was walking back I couldn't find our shelter."

"We wouldn't stop looking for you. I had to make sure you were safe. I needed to know you were alive."

I slightly smiled at that and kissed his cheek. They didn't forget about me. They didn't leave me behind. They really do care. I gave Ashton another tight hug. But winced when I grabbed his shirt. My fingers burned. I looked at them. Purple flesh. Skin hanging off. Dried blood caked down them. I looked at them in disgust.

"What happened to them?" Ashton asked as he looked at my fingertips.

"It was how I peeled the tree so I could get the woodchips to eat something."

"You ate woodchips?"

"Yeah...and Idrank gross pond water."

He didn't look at me with disgust or judge me for doing it. He just said...

"You gotta do what you gotta do to survive."

I smiled at him. He gave me one back showing his amazing dimples.

"Come on lets get your hands bandaged. And you need some real food to eat."

"Okay." I stood up but stumbled a bit. Ash put his arm around my waist to steady me.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My fingers are all bandaged up now. I ate some canned fruit and water.

"How'd you find this place?"

"We came across it while we were looking for you. It was in good condition and there was food and water stacked up."

"So we're staying here?"

"Yeah."

I just nodded. We then went outside Ashton staying by my side in case I stumbled or something. There I saw Luke and Michael shooting targets. Hmm, must've been here before the outbreak started. They didn't see me yet, so I ran up and hugged Michael from behind. He jumped and quickly turned around. He smiled really big.

"Kylie!"

"Mikey!"

I smiled really big as we pulled back from the hug. Tears streaming down my face. I turned towards the blondie.

"Lukey." I jumped at him and held him really tight.

"Ky..."

He breathed out.

"I've missed you."

"I missed you too."

And I meant it. These boys are like family to me. I don't know what I'd do without them. I pulled away from the hug. I smiled at the three who were smiling right back.

"We thought you weren't going to wake up. We didn't give up though. Especially Ash...he was a mess."

I looked at Ashton. He blushed and looked down. I smiled at him and ran up.and hugged him. He then took one arm off my waist and tilted my chin up. Our eyes locked on each others. He slowly began to lean in. Our lips brushed. Just one inch away from fully kissing until I heard a scream coming from my left.