Chapter 4

We walked for about 15 minutes killing a stray zombie here and there. There was a house that didn't look too demolished so we decided to try there. We hopped over the fence to the back door. Luke walks up and jiggles the handle.

"Crap it's locked."

He looked over at us and I pulled a bobby pin out of my hair and picked the lock. We slowly walked in the house and gasp. We are met with a completly destroyed room. Furniture is torn apart and fallen over, blood all over the walls, children's toys scattered all around the floor. We all split up and search different parts of the house. I decided to go check upstairs. Walking up the stairs, I end up in a hallway with the doors wide open. Coming into the first room, it's pink. And I mean really pink. It's a little girls room with bunk beds, and dolls, and SO MUCH PINK! Suddenly I hear a high pitched shriek, and I see a little zombie coming out of the adjoined bathroom. Raising up my axe, I slice her head off in one swift motion. The gore of everyday not really affecting me anymore. Turning around to the doorway, I see another zombie coming towards me. I think im going crazy...it looks exactly the same as the one I just decapitated. Chopping off its head as well, I let out a shaky sigh. Looking around the messy room, I see a picture frame on the nightstand. I pick it up and just stare at it. Their names are Penny and Charlotte and they're identical twins. I look back at them. They couldn't have been more than 5 years old. It's so sad to even think about them dying at such a young age. I just turn around and scout the rest of the house.

When I get back downstairs, I see the boys are sitting on the now up -turned couch. We all had a bag full of the things we wanted. We all silently walked back to my house. So maybe this wasn't the best day, but it wasn't the worst either. But one day, we'll leave this place....and we don't know what awaits us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So what's the plan?" Ashton asks the next day.

"To survive." I answered. Ash rolled his eyes.

"We have 2 choices: City or country."

He replies seriously. Focusing on the task at hand, we all start making ideas.

"Sooooo..." Luke begins. "What's the plan?"

"I don't know really, I like doing my own thing. Being alone is better than watching your friends die." I trailed.off looking at the ground.

"Anyways, I think the countries are safer. So......who's ready for some camping?" I say sarcastically. We pack up the stuff we're going to need. Each of us carrying at least 3 bags. We will survive. We go up the stairs and I slowly open the door. A light breeze blows through our dirty hair. Faint moans are carried by the wind as we walk. We meet the wooden fence that seperates my back yard from the woods. I pull myself over the fence and im met with a bunch of dark, dense trees.

"All clear, I think."

I whisper shout. They drop down from the top of the fence. It was quiet too long before I say something.

"Before all this happened, I think one of the biggest things I was afraid of...was freedom. Able to survive like this, walking without a destination.....terrifies me."

They stay quiet, but I know they heard me. Reaching a small clearing in the woods, we see a woman with her back turned to us. We approach her slowly and Luke steps on a branch. She turns towards us and lunges at Ashton. Before she reached him, I chopped her head off. Her body slumps to the ground and black goo puddles to the ground. They look slightly taken aback from the past few seconds. Shaking it off, Luke looks to see if our headless pal has anything useful on her. She had absolutely nothing. Trudging off into the forest, I sigh.

"Why do we even try surviving? We're going to die anyways. And playing games like this all the time is boring and stupid." My dark mood taking over.

"I don't know. Why is your favorite color purple, and you hate drinking tea?"

"I don't know. Just because it is."

"Well we're surviving just because its what we're working with."

I just stayed silent. The sun is much lower in the sky, we must've been walking for hours. The past few hours were severely depressing and quiet. Ashton finds a small rocky overhang. Making the best of it, we snuggle into some leaves. What are we even doing anymore?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a few days since we left my basement. Everyone's spirit had been crushed, we were wallowing in each others sadness. As we were walking, I noticed Luke had fallen way behind.

"Luke?"

"Do you believe in mercy?"

He looked me straight in the eyes. His whispers barely audible. That's when I took a really good look at him. He looked sickly pale with dark circles visible under his eyes.

"Yes..."

"If you had the chance, would you put me out of my misery?"

I had no idea what he was talking about. Put him out of his misery? What does he mean? I open my mouth to respond but no sound comes out.

"Luke, what are you talking about?"

Ashton said.

"Would you?"

We both stayed silent. We were so confused. What's he talking about?

"What kind of friends are you?"

He said fiercly. We were taken aback by his sudden mood change. That's when I saw him holding his arm. Dried blood caked all around it.

"Luke? W-what happened to your a-arm?"

I stumbled my words. He slowly looked down and rolled up his sleeve. Then I saw it.....Luke got bit...