Chapter 1

I slowly crept up the stairs out of my basement to go get some air. I know it's not safe to go outside, but that basement just gets too stuffy sometimes. When I get to the porch, I look around making sure there are no zombies.

I sat down on the chair that was here before the virus infected everyone, and just looked around at what the world has come to. Buildings are on fire, pools of blood covers the streets, bodyparts strewn across the cobblestone. A woman was on the ground covered in blood. Her hair was sticking up wildly from her head, her chest was ripped open, and some of her limbs were missing. I stared in disgust, but it's something I've seen alot in these past few months.

I've witnessed men, women, children, even infants spend their last minutes on earth, taking their last breath. Sometimes I even wonder... How many minutes do I have left?

A stray zombie came from the side of the house. I grabbed my knife from my boot and threw it straight at the zombie's head. I've seen enough zombie movies to know that's the only thing that kills them, apart from being dead already. I was so lost in thought that I didn't realize it was getting dark.

I retreived my knife from the zombie's head and made my way back inside to the basement. It's the safest room in the house. There's a couch, some matresses, a bunch of pillows and blankets, and some candles. I stocked up on canned foods and bottled water when the outbreak first started so I wont run out for a while.

I lit some candles and snuggled up on the couch. Just thinking how the world could come to something as horrible and revolting as this. I ended up falling into a dreamless sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up hearing moans and grunts from upstairs. I sat up and  listened for what made the noise. I walked up the stairs quietly and made my way throughout the house. The smell of rotting flesh was faint. I walked closer to the moans, the stench getting stronger and stronger with each step I take.

I then get to my bedroom and there in the middle of the room was a zombie. I ran up to it and tackled it. The zombie below me was thrashing and nipping at my body while I hold its arms and legs down. Shit! I didn't bring my axe and I can't reach the knife in my boot. The smell of rotting death surrounds me and my eyes start to water. I've actually never been this close to a zombie, let alone touch one of these disgusting creatures. The zombie is pissed and it's half torn off face was smearing this black goo all over my shirt. Eww.

I frantically look around searching for any weapons I could use. I then notice a brick under my bed. How'd that get there? Timing it just right, I let go of one of the zombie's arms and grab the brick raising it high above my head and connecting it with the zombie's skull. The loud crack makes the zombie go limp and the black goo sprays across my face. I get up and wipe some of it off my face but end up smearing it all over. I realize im panting hard and I try to calm myself down. I stare at the thing I just murdered. Well, the thing that was murdered after being murdered. I grab the zombie by its feet and drag it into the hallway. It leaves a sickly trail of black goo behind it. I notice the hallway window was open.

"That must be how it got in." I forgot to close the window. I was so tired that it slipped my mind completely. But why'd it go all the way into my room? Eh, I guess zombies are just weird like that. I lift the zombie out the window and it lands on the ground with a loud thud satisfied, I closed the window and locked it. I walked silently to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. I was a bloody zombie mess. My hair stuck to my face with the congealed blood. I turned on the shower and washed myself off. Yes I know what you're thinking. The water still works, lucky for me I can take showers so I wont smell like rotting garbage. The only downside is it's only cold water.

I get out and head back down to the basement. I keep everything I need down here so I rarely go upstairs. I get into some warm clothes and lay down on one of the matresses. I then drift off into darkness.