Chapter 8

I've been walking for hours now. How could I be so stupid to not mark some sort of path? God, im such an idiot. I still couldn't find our shelter. Did I really go that far away from it? It really didn't seem like a long walk. I should've found it by now. The sun is bright in the sky so it must be around noon. Still walking, looking. The night wasn't that bad I found the damp treehouse we've used before as a shelter. It's cold and dark but i'll survive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been 3 weeks now. I know because i've counted. I'm still in these woods. Did they realize I was gone? Are they out there looking for me? Did they leave me behind? Did they look and give up right away? Did they forget about me? All these questions giving me a headache. I often see the occasional zombie but not as much as the streets. And I can't do anything about it because well, I don't have my weapons. I left my knife that's usually in my boot next to my axe at our shelter. I've been without food and clean water for the 3 weeks I've been lost. If I feel like im getting dehydrated, every couple of days I go back to that pond and take a few sips. I am so hungry. That tree looks very tasty right about now. I decided to go try it. I began pulling on the wood, recieving many splinters in the process, and taking pieces of to eat. I have nothing to do but sit at that pond and wait. See if someone alive out there comes and rescues me. And dream of food. If I stay close to the pond, my water supply shouldn't run out and it'll hold me over. But oh was I wrong. Very wrong. These cramps in my stomach get worse and worse every second. And I constantly feel nausous. The water betrayed me. I am left with nothing. After throwing up the liquid in my stomach, I feel a little bit better. My stomach then started growling uncontrollably. I went back to the tree. The woodchips seem to be fine, only im running out of finger nail to peel it with. I'm constantly bleeding and pulling shards of wood out of my hands. I may decide it's not worth it. I have eaten about a window sized worth of woodchips these past few days. I heard a snap to my right. I looked and sawca zombie eating an arm. Then a thought occured to me....if those things can eat us...then why can't we eat them? Where's the logic in that? That's not fair at all! I think I should march over there and be able to eat it! It makes sense right? Of course it does! I just need to make a plan on how to do this. I went to a far away tree so the zombie wont see or hear me. Then I broke off a long, thick branch from the tree. I am now in the process of carving it into a spear with my nails. I'm bleeding...a lot. I can't feel it anymore though. The splinters, blood, and chunks of skin have come together in a piece. My blood still drips out. The wood splinters were even nice enough to turn the tips of my fingers purple. Something tells me in the back of my mind that my fingertips are dead. But I laugh at that voice. Everything is dead in this world now.

I think it's been a couple of hours because im finished with my spear, and i've stopped bleeding. I'm going to do this, I'm actually going to eat a zombie. I'm going to eat it because they can eat us and it's hardly fair that we can't do the same. So I'm going to show them who's boss. I know they wont taste very good because well, they're dead. And have been walking around who knows where. But I need something to eat. I looked around for a bit until I saw that same zombie only a few ways away from where it'd been before. Man these things are slow! He saw me when I got closer and started walking towards me. I knew it wanted to eat me. But that wasn't fair, because I had seen this one eating that arm a few hours ago. He was well fed and that was not fair! I had been living off of woodchips! So I lunged at it when I was close enough and stabbed it with my spear in the head. I hit the zombie a bunch more times until I was sure it was dead. I then used the sharp end of my spear and plunged it into his arm. I proceeded to cut and stab until the arm came completely off with black goo dripping off it. I walked back to the pond and sat on my rock. I looked at the arm for a couple of minutes and brought it up to my mouth. As I was an inch away from taking a bite, a voice caught my attention. It was very faint, I couldn't understand a word they were saying. I listened in silence for a few minutes before I heard the voice again. It was closer and I could make out my name.

"Kylie, Where are you?"

Another voice shouted. The voices getting closer and closer. Now's my chance. I could get out of these woods.

"Over here!" I yelled. I threw the zombie arm down and scattered of the rock. I ran as fast as my legs would allow me to towards the voices. They called my name again even closer than before. My legs were very weak. They ended up giving out causing me to fall to the ground.

"There she is!"

But before I passed out I saw three familiar bodies running towards me. And then the darkness took over.