Chapter 2

I wake up to my stomach growling. I stand up and slowly make my way to the cupboard for some canned fruit and a water bottle. I grabbed a plastic spoon and make my way to the couch.

I throw the now empty can and bottle in the garbage can next to the couch. I wipe my spoon off and put it back in the cupboard. I only got one spoon so I keep it there. I decided to get some air again. As I was sitting in my chair I hear a scream come from my right. I look and see 2 guys holding up a girl by her waist. She had blonde hair and dark grey eyes. There's blood dripping from her left leg. It's now just a shredded huge, bloody mess with bite marks visible. They scream and beg for help.

"Follow me."

They nod and I led them to my basement. I always keep first aid kits down here just in case something were to happen.

"Just put her on that couch."

Again they all nodded. She's writhing in pain and has a sickly pale face. I rustle through the first aid kit and grab some rubbing alcohol and some bandages.

"Grab her arms."

She just looks at me like a lost puppy. I pour the alcohol in her wound and she starts screaming and kicking. She ended up kicking me in the face. I hold my now bloody nose and use some of the gauze to stop the bleeding. I then grab the bandages and continue my work, wrapping up her leg. When it's done, we all take a huge step away from her. She's breathing hard and wiped the tears from her eyes. The room is silent besides the distant moans of zombies from outside.

"What do we do now?"

She said what we were all thinking. She had an accent that sounded British.

"Truth is, this might not even save you."

I say bluntly. She just groans and turns away from us. Do we say goodbye?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours go by, her friends worriedly watching her from across the room.

My mind is slowly running away from me and a headache is taking its place.

"You guys have to do something to me."

She writhes in more and more pain.

"What do you want us to do?"

One of the 2 boys asked her. He had blonde curly hair and green, hazel eyes. He was about 6 foot tall and he had a thick Australian accent.

"Amputate me, kill me, keep me away from you, just DO SOMETHING!"

"I don't think any of us could kill you-"

Green eyes starts.

"-and it's too late to amputate you."

The other guy finishes. He had blonde hair and blue eyes with a black lip piercing. He was about the same height with a little deeper voice and less of an accent.

"Then lock me away somewhere! I'm DYING guys!"

She says exasperated

"...Okay Braylee...I'm just so sorry."

Green eyes says before picking her up again. Tears come to her eyes as he takes her outside and sets her next to a tree. He holds her hand for an extra moment before walking back slowly. She's now left alone to die, but she chose this. I see her take her last breath as the virus in her takes over. She's gone, and there's no coming back. That was such a hard thing to do. Watch her suffer like that then have to give her up. She's not going to live long, and im going to have to put her out of her misery. As I shut the door behind me, I run into green eyes. And I mean run INTO him. We knock into each other and make eye contact. Then we both burst out laughing. All laughing stops when we hear Braylee's groans in pain from outside.

"She's going to die soon, isn't she."

"Yeah....she is."

We go back into the basement and are met with an awkward silence.

"I'm Ashton." Green eyes says.

"And I'm Luke." Blue eyes says.

"I'm Kyliee. Uhm if you need a place to stay, you are welcome here. I have food and water...all the essentials."

"Really? That'd be great." Ashton says.

"No problem. It's safer to be in groups anyways."

"But we're still thankful."

Luke added in. I just smiled. Something I haven't done in a while. The atmosphere in the room was overall sad. Instead of just sitting there, I nod goodnight and turn over in the blankets.

The last thing I remember was one of the boys patting my shoulder. Then the darkness engulfed me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up and go and grab something to eat and a water for breakfast. Ashton wakes up soon after.

"The food is in the cupboard...help yourself."

"Oh, uhm thanks."

He goes and grabs his stuff. I had the only spoon so he just ate from the can. A couple of hours later, Luke wakes up and I tell him the same thing I told Ashton. He goes and grabs whatever. He uses the spoon I used earlier which he wiped off beforehand. Luke said he wanted some fresh air so he went outside for a while.

"Be careful."

He nodded and went up the basement steps.

"I'm sorry about your friend."

"Uhm, thanks. She was actually Luke's girlfriend....How did the world come to such a brutle end like this?"

"I ask myself the same question everyday."

We were both sitting there in silence. I was lost in my own thoughts. A loud shriek brought me back to reality.

"LUKE!"

We both ran up the basement stairs. I was trailing behind because his long legs could go faster the my short ones. We got outside and saw Braylee. But she isn't Braylee anymore...She's a monster. And she's chewing on Luke.

"HELP ME!"

He screams as the monster climbs on top of him. She is inches away from biting his neck when all struggling stops, as and she falls limp against Luke's body. I see Ashton had shoved a knife into the back of her head.

"Y-you were bit. I saw it."

Luke shakily pulls up his shredded pant leg and his thick boot is covered in bite marks but there was no blood. He kicked off his boot. There was no breaking flesh.

"I'm not bit...I'M NOT BIT!"

He screamed happily. I yanked Ashton's knife out of the zombie's head and it to him.

"Let's go bury her now."

We don't even know each other, but no one deserves to die. We all just nod and pick up the corpse. Ashton and Luke start digging a grave and put her in . As I went outside to tell them that they should come in before it gets too dark, an open notebook catches my eye. Hesitantly I picked it up and read the smudges of pen.