Chapter 90 - Let's Dance

Start from the beginning

I truly enjoyed helping Paisley get ready for today. I'm worried about her, though. She seems a little distracted after what happened between her and Asher and what happened with Galen. She is also upset about Tanner getting injured, and I think she would much rather have stayed home to pamper or annoy him. I saw her giving Asher's closed bedroom door a few apprehensive glances while we were there, and I really wish she'd spoken to him before we left. If they could ease out some of the wrinkles in their relationship, she would definitely feel a lot less tense right now.

I cannot wait to see her on stage. To date, I've seen some samples of her dancing and I've loved what I've seen. I want more! I'm sad that no spectators are allowed today because I'm sure the boys and Aunt Beth would've loved to be here to support her. I'm really grateful and happy that she was able to get permission to have me attend.

I carefully sit down next to Aunt Augusta. She told me that I could call her that instead of Ms Hamilton if I wanted to. Paisley suggested I call her Aunt A, and when I, feeling incredibly awkward, said that I did not think I would be able to do that, Aunt Augusta exclaimed: "Oh, praise God!" which made Paisley laugh happily.

They are a very strange family...

I'm not quite sure how to behave around Aunt Augusta; though she doesn't seem to be as harsh as Paisley made her out to be, she does have a rather strict, no-nonsense air about her, and I don't want to say or do something that will make her disapprove of me as Paisley's friend.

I think Aunt Augusta must've been really beautiful when she was young; she is still very attractive. She might be in her early 60s because my grandmother was in her 70s and though she'd taken good care of her appearance, she'd looked much older than Aunt Augusta.

Her hair is a rich brown, probably not her current natural colour, though it looks quite natural and she has it styled in gently curling layers, the longest of which just reaches the collar of her creamy silk blouse, with the loosely tied bow at her throat. I wonder if she realises that Paisley and Jake have her eyes. The same olive-green colour and the same shape. It fascinates me how family members can take after each other, even when they're not directly related.

She's being friendly towards me in an extremely well-mannered, polite way, which I find comforting, as this is what I'm used to. I wonder if she attended Mount Sovereign Academy for Girls. She doesn't have a posh accent, but she certainly has the air of sophistication and high society adopted by their students.

"Alice," Paisley suddenly appears next to me, looking nervous and harried; she is wearing the blue outfit I saw her dance in last Saturday, and she is beautiful. "You are needed. Did you bring your sewing kit, as I asked?"

"Yes, I brought some needles and thread, basic things; why?" I don't see anything wrong with her costume.

"Many of the dancers are in need of your help."

Oh, dear! Hearing those words, my heart jolts with a mixture of apprehension, excitement, joy and too many other things to list. Suddenly, I'm extremely nervous.

"Very well, but I might not be able to do much without access to other materials."

"Believe me, you'll find plenty of things in the costume room that you can re-purpose if you have to," she assures me, "but I'm mostly talking about things like loose flowers and snapped straps. Nothing too adventurous."

I take my handbag and move the gym bag Paisley dropped at my feet so that I can join her.

"Aunt A," Paisley says, moving to the front of the table so that her great-aunt can see her clearly. "Please guard this with your life." She places a flat disk-shaped tutu bag on the table. "Do not let it out of your sight."