Chapter 81: Kevin

I looked at Streber with a shocked expression that quickly faded into admiration. I don't think I'd be able to do that. Say something like that to my mom if she had emotionally abused me for years and then kicked me out.
    Streber's mom seemed to be caught off guard. She was shifting her focus from me, then back to Streber, on and off. Evelyn proudly smiled at her brother.
Streber's mom tried to fight back. "W-well, they let you get your arm cut off!"
"Kevin stayed there by my side almost every day in the hospital. And Radford drove me to physical therapy every day when Kevin was at work!" He smiled again. He seemed confident.
Streber's mom looked defeated. "Alright, fine. Am I still invited to this...wedding of yours?" She asked.
Streber started laughing as if he was at a John Mulaney show. "Wait...you aren't serious, right?"
She stood there, awaiting a response.
"Holy shit, you're actually serious..." Streber stopped. They shook their head no. "No! You can't just neglect me for years and kick me out of the house, expecting to get an invite to the greatest day of my life!"
Evelyn softly smiled. She looked kinda saddened. I sighed. "Ev? Are you okay?"
Streber and his mom didn't really seem to notice, but Evelyn looked at me, shocked. "I-uh..I'm fine. Why?"
I hesitated. "I-I...I don't know...I just thought I'd ask. Since in two days you'll...technically be my sister in law, and...I don't know..."
She hesitated for a few seconds. "I-I'm sorry...for..everything. I'm way too..protective..." She looked at me, pained. "I didn't mean to put Streber through that...I just wanted to keep him safe..." Her eyes were filling up with tears, not breaking eye contact with me. "You're right...I was controlling him...and...I really don't deserve to have a place in his life, but...he's my baby brother, and I care about him..."
I looked at her, hesitant. She could just be lying, and only wants part in his life to try to control him again, but this feels too sincere to be a lie.
"I-I'm sorry for shutting you out..." I wasn't really. She kind of deserved it. For everything she put Streber through. She made him hate himself.
"No...I deserved it..." She looked at Streber sadly. "I-Is he happy?" she softly asked.
I nodded. "He's been doing great...He's in his junior year of college...he wants to be an actor....There's almost always a smile on his face..." I was looking at him. He was confidently standing up for himself against his mom.
She smiled. "I'm glad...I...I understand that you might not want me to, but do you think I could attend your wedding...?"
I hesitated again. "I-I mean, I'd have to make sure it's okay with Streber...but...I guess that's...fine with me..." I wasn't sure if I wanted her there. But she seemed so sad. I couldn't just say no.
She hugged me out of nowhere. "Thank you, Kevin!" she exclaimed.
Streber looked in our direction. "Kev? Ev?" he asked.
I looked at him, and then at Evelyn. "You talk to him first." I said. I wanted her to make things right with Streber before we even talk about her possible attendance at the wedding.
"Streber...I...I'm so sorry...I've been such an idiot...I really hope you can forgive me..."