Chapter 20: Streber

I just kissed Kevin. I just kissed the cute guy in front of me. I could hardly believe it. That felt amazing.
Kevin looked like a tomato. It was cute. He was cute.
"So...does this mean we're...boyfriends?" He asked hopefully.
"Only if that's okay with you." I smiled at him, grasping his hand tightly.
He smiled, seeming happier than I've ever seen him. I couldn't believe it. I had a perfect boyfriend. I had a boyfriend.
I start hearing footsteps. I let go of Kevin's hand, sensing it would be mom or dad. Odd. They usually don't care what I'm up to.
The door opened, and mom walked in. "Oh, hey Kevin. I didn't know you were coming." She said, a bit surprised. "Did Bob have to let you in?"
"Yeah, but it's really no problem. And sorry for coming in such short notice."
"It's fine, don't worry about it! Do you want me to get you anything?"
My mom likes Kevin more than she likes me. I wonder how that's gonna change when she figures out he was that kid who caused all that controversy for coming out as trans, and that he's my boyfriend.
"No, it's okay, don't worry." Kevin smiled.
"All right, if you're hungry, there's a barbeque in the backyard." she smiled at him. "Have fun, boys!"
"Thanks, ma'am." He said.
"You can just call me Nicole." Mom said.
"Well, then thank you, Nicole."
Mom exited the room, closing the door on her way out. She seems to like Kevin, which is good, because he visits a lot. Once I was sure she was gone, I grabbed Kevin's hand again, and muttered, "Sorry about her, she was probably checking to see if I had done my bible study lately."
"It's perfectly fine, she seems to like me." Kevin reassured me. Yeah, it kinda hurt that my mom liked my boyfriend more than she liked me, but I'm glad she tolerated him being here with me.
We just have to keep our relationship a secret from her. Because I'd either be grounded until college, or kicked out. And I don't want either fate. I smiled. It was impossible not to smile when I'm looking at Kevin. I felt bad for dragging him here, especially because there's a potential serial killer in the backyard.
But I can probably protect him from harm. Hopefully. After all, I'd never forgive myself if something happened to him.

(End of Part 2/9)