Chapter 70: Kevin (yummy angst)

After writing to Radford, updating him on the situation, I felt myself drifting off to sleep.
~~~~~~~~

"Huh...?" I opened my eyes at home, in bed, with Streber resting on my chest.
"Honey, did you have another nightmare...?" He softly asked.
"Streber! You're okay!" I hugged him tightly. "Oh, holy hell, I thought I lost you!"
He smiled. "Sweets, holy and hell really don't go together." He wrapped his arms around me. "You don't have to worry about losing me, I'm staying right here."
I smiled and kissed them on the forehead. "I'm holding you to that, Streb." I joked. I held them close. "Thank god that was just a nightmare..." a couple tears streamed down my face. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you..."
Streber smiled lovingly. "Hey, Kev, don't cry...I'm right here...and I'm not planning on leaving anytime soon...."
I smiled and sighed. "Well, I was going to wait until tonight, but now's just as good a time as any..." I got up. "Streber, c'mon...there's something I wanted to talk to you about..."
He sat up. "Sure, you can talk to me about anything, my love."
I looked at them lovingly. "Now, close your eyes..."
Streber gave me a confused look. "Umm...okay?" He closed his eyes.
I retrieved a small box I had hidden in my sock drawer, opened it, revealing a beautiful ring with a subtle vampire design. I got down on one knee in front of Streber.
"You can open your eyes now, Streb."
He opened his eyes, and instantly covered his mouth with his hands.
"Streber, would you make me the happiest person to ever live and marry me?" I asked.
"Oh my god, oh my god, yes!!" He practically threw himself into my arms. "Yes, I will marry you!!!"
I smiled.
Maybe this Halloween wouldn't be so bad after all.
"Sir?" Streber looked up at me.
"What...?"
"Sir, wake up!" He said.

~~~~~~~
I opened my eyes to see a nurse standing in front of me.
"Sir, I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you cannot stay here all night."
So that was just a dream. I could still lose my Streber.
"S-sorry, ma'am..." I stood up. "How's Streber doing...?"
She looked at me with an expression that I couldn't make out. "He hasn't gotten any better. Only time will tell whether he'll make it out of this, but...try not to get your hopes up..."
I stood there, pained. "O-Oh...."
"I'm sorry, sir..." she softly said.
"Don't apologize, you aren't the asshole who did this to him...well...I should get going..."
"Alright, sir. I'll be sure to keep you updated on your partner's possible recovery."
"Thanks, ma'am...for everything..."
"Don't thank me, I'm just doing my job."
~~~~~~~
I left the hospital, but just as I was going to call an Uber to take me home (mostly because I didn't have the strength to walk home), a familiar face came running towards me. Evelyn.
"Oh my god, Kevin! I heard what happened, is Streber okay!?" She frantically asked.
I sighed, frustrated from the whole situation. "Why the hell do you suddenly give a single damn about his life?" I uttered.
"He's my brother! I have the right to know! To be there!"
"Yeah? Where were you when your lousy excuse for a mom kicked him out? Where were you when he was slicing his wrists and smoking like there was no tomorrow? Where were you when he was finally getting better, and wanted to make things right with you, but you
F-CKING BLOCKED HIM!??! If you have 'such a right to be there' why are you NEVER
F-CKING THERE!!???" I lost it.
"I'm sorry, you think I have the time-"
"YOU WORK AT A BLOODY TARGET! DON'T TRY WITH THAT BS! IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE HIM, THEN JUST ADMIT IT!! ADMIT THAT YOU ONLY CARE WHEN HE COULD BE DEAD!!! ADMIT THAT YOU FEEL OBLIGATED TO CARE BECAUSE YOU ARE BLOOD RELATIVES!!!!" I screamed, tears racing down my face.
I tried to collect myself.
"If my Streber wakes up from that damned coma, I want you away from him. I won't let you break his heart again." I told her as I walked past her. I didn't wait for a response. I just wanted to get the hell out of there.