ii. Dust and Ashes

❖❖❖

Tarum was a city nicknamed the Grand Jewel of Idrimis yet as Laura manoeuvred her way through the muddy roads, seeing the sludge lurking on the river banks, factories spewing thick smog from their pipes, and cobbled-together houses filed shoulder to shoulder with chimney smoke puffing away 一 she could not help but think of the city's more infamous title as the Great Stink.

But no matter the stench, Laura learnt it was necessary to get used to it if one wishes to integrate with the ordinary people of Tarum.

Her desired destination was located outside the city centre. The northern district to be exact. Known for its low crime rate, large manors and prosperous residents. It is a shame that Laura's house was located towards the southeastern side of the city.

By the time she made it to the wealthier section and approached the Artemisia mansion, the blaze had quelled its gluttonous appetite. Servants of the manor had begun their search through the scorched remains to find what they could salvage. Moving barriers of rubble and debris only to find dust and ashes.

There were spectators too. Those who wished to see what was left of the once proud mansion. Among them were members of the fire brigade, a Caelum and their automaton.

She decided to approach the Caelum, assessing them as she drew near. He was a Caelus who wore standard fire brigade attire. A specially crafted coat that fell to his knees and covered his arms and neck as well as similarly built trousers. The material of the garments was tailor-made to protect the wearer from severe burns. This along with a mask that alleviates possible smoke inhalation and gloves that could withstand high temperatures made it the perfect attire for working with fires. From the lone presence of this Caelus, Laura assumed he was adept in magic. Especially with his automaton stationed beside him.

Talos model CF4. Though usually humanoid, this automaton differed as it was similar in appearance to an elephant standing at nine feet with a mechanical endoskeleton that peeked through its bronze-plated skin. Gears shifted and clicked into place. A sudden tremor shook the elephant as steam-like magic hissed from its large fan-shaped ears. Upon release, the magic dispersed into the atmosphere and the automaton elephant continued its stationary position.

"Good day, Sir."

At Laura's words, the Caelus lifted his mask atop his head revealing his face beneath. His left ear was missing having been cut off and the surrounding area was scarred from an old burn. He was older than Laura expected. Black hair streaked by grey strands. Along his brow and beneath tired eyes ran a row of wrinkles. He simply stared down at Laura. A nonverbal message to leave.

Steeling her nerves, she continued, "My name is Laura Winters. Licensed Hunter and consulting detective."

"A Winters aye. Name's Bastion," the Caelum said. "You George's kid?"

Laura flinches. Surprised, she simply nods in response.

"A great man. Sorry for your loss."

She clenched her jaw. Unwanted thoughts tried to crowd her mind. Ignore it. Focus. Laura forced the conversation back to the task at hand.

"I've been hired to find the arson responsible for all these fires. Did you or your automaton see anything strange whilst you put out the fire?"

"It ain't your business really," he remarked. His gaze strayed from Laura. Glancing around as if checking for something nearby. "But if it means the end of this arson, I'll tell you what I can."