Chapter TWENTY-NINE

Opal's feet were numb. The trip through the swamp had been brisk enough despite the few sharp turns that required some extra muscle from Proga and Yue. Now they were stuck at the gate to Tixe. Honey, a web-footed demon with a scaly face and thick, brown damp hair was reviewing their story (as well as their favors) carefully.

At least there were now some tree roots to perch on instead of standing in the murky water but it did little to help the chill in the air. Spark had attempted to keep a small fire going but Honey had snapped at him to put it out. Apparently, all lights in the swamp at night had meaning and the fae that lived here would not take kindly to a random signal throwing off their activities.

Obsidian was curled up against Opal, shivering and rubbing swamp algae between his hands in equal measure.

Honey finally finished unscrewing the last cap off a bottle and used a massive hand to wave the scent towards him. His yellow eyes widened. "Even for traders you have an impressive assortment of favors."

Yue nodded briefly. His white hair was safely tucked under a cloak, this time tied back more securely.

"I hear only the best gets to access to Tixe's wealth of unusual goods."

It seemed apparent to Opal that Honey didn't believe him one ounce but his yellow reptilian eyes went between them and the bottles. He slipped one into a pouch he wore across his body.

"Enter, for now. You have four days based on your favors. Ya'll will want accommodations then?"

Yue nodded.

Honey looked back at the assortment before him and stuck his hand into the swamp to fish out a literal fish, handing it to a disgruntled Spark. It slipped from his grasp and was quickly grabbed by Kait who perked up enough to examine the sharp spine closely. Despite its large size she held firm. From her expression she would be telling everyone about its medicinal properties as soon as Honey was out of earshot.

"Third inn on the right will take ya. They'll want the fish n this." Honey tossed a gray bottle back to Yue.

"Have a pleasant stay."

Opal winced as her feet slipped back into the muddy water but was relieved that only a few paces from the gnarled tree roots that spread to welcome them in was stone and soft moss. The inn keeper took the fish in exchange for hot fish soup that made Opal's lips burn long after the last bite.

The beds were more similar to the cots she'd slept on in the prison but were much more comfortable than the hard floor of the wagon and rocked gently side to side with the floating cabin.

Proga was too large for the bed but didn't complain as he stretched out on the floor with an extra pillow. Even then there weren't enough beds and she ended up sharing one with Kait.

There was a simple bathroom attached and a small open porch that overlooked the swamp. As usual Spark fell asleep first. Obsidian was not far behind. When Opal awoke to dip some water from the large basin the inn keeper provided she once again found Yue up. He seemed surprised to notice how late it was and climbed into his own bed. Even as she drifted off, he was still up, staring up at the ceiling, jaw clenched.

They were the only visitors at the inn. Apparently, Yue had been right about it being unusual for outsiders to visit. In order to hold cover Kait and Proga agreed, and Spark was dragged along, to barter with the locals. Opal, Gabbro and Yue had a much harder task, figuring out how to trigger Obsidian's memory of Ren and where he and Yue were supposed to be taken. Yue, unfortunately, didn't remember much from his time under guard. Without any other direction to try, Gabbro agreed to see if his brother could help.