Chapter TWENTY

Kait was working on closing the wound. She was trying to stop the bleeding, but Bloom wouldn't be able to get his finger back. Opal was still reeling from the interaction between her and the stranger. Proga now sat between the two of them, watching. Proga had nearly yanked the other demon's arm off when he returned to find him leaning over her like that. Opal knew she should have been afraid; he was probably lying about recognizing her after all. But what if he wasn't?

"That's the best I can do." Kait hopped down off the stool, frowning and drying her hands on a clean towel.

The demon watched her. "Very impressive... healer? You own there." Opal realized he was directing the statement at her but after watching his eyes sweep over Kait's body it made her feel itchy to look at him, or his half smile.

"I don't belong to any demon." Kait crossed her arms. "Now, I understand you have terms for letting Yue go. Let's hear them."

His gaze shifted back and forth between her and Opal. "I don't recall saying I had him."

"Do you?" Opal stood up now.

"I don't have him. I might know where he is, however."

"Might or do? I'm getting sick of this." Proga half stood as well.

"Calm down, shifter. I know where he is. I might consider taking you to him if you can tell me something."

"What?"

"Where has he been for the last three years?"

The group exchanged looks.

"Ah. I'm guessing you do know then. Let's see... a shifter, a gray fox. You must be Proga and Kait. And Opal was kind enough to introduce herself. I don't know you, though."

"I'm not telling you shit."

"Not a Royal then I take it." He snorted. "Ok, I'll give you my friend's name in exchange for yours, fire-demon."

Spark glared at him.

"How do you know our names?" Kait asked, leaning away.

"I knew a friend of yours."

"Lor." Proga's eyes gleamed. "So you are the ones that brought him here?"

He shook his head. "I know he's been back though. Against his will."

"Why do you care where we've been?"

"We? Now that is interesting, fire-demon. I care because I am also looking for someone. I thought Yue could tell me, but if any of you are willing to give me the information I want I might be able to let him go."

"I thought you said you didn't have him?"

The smirk slipped a little. "I don't. As I said, I know where to find him. I can be incredibly persuasive."

"We were trapped. In a human prison." Opal's eyes widened. Why did she tell him that?

Proga stared at her.

The demon narrowed his eyes. "If you won't be truthful-"

"She's not lying." Bloom spoke up, his voice was hoarse. "She told me the story of it. The boy is not with their prince. It must be the younger one who has him."

"Who are you looking for?" Proga interrupted.

The demon gave him a bored look. "My brother was taken a few suns back. I don't know why but I doubt it's for anything good."

"You seem real upset about it."

His chuckle was eerie. He locked eyes with Spark. "I can show you how upset I am, if you don't believe me."