Chapter THIRTEEN

For such sickly-looking creatures, they moved with remarkable speed. It was difficult to estimate how many there were since along with seven or so chasing behind them they could also hear the shrieks coming from above them and on the sides, still attempting to repeat the same word. It was more garbled by the second- even worse, instead of just yelling it Opal began to recognize emotion behind it. They were excited.

"How are there so many of them?" Opal panted. "Where do they keep coming from?"

Yue was running behind, occasionally sending up a short wall of ice. It wasn't hard to break through but it was slowing them down a little.

"It's like the more we go the greater their numbers- are they catching up or- shit. Yue! Get us some protection! We have to stop" Proga grabbed Opal and Kait, forcing them to halt and in Opal's case nearly pulling her joint out. She yelped. Opal watched a thin whip like- cord of shimmering blue and silver appear from Yue's palm and catch Spark by the wrist, spinning him backwards to join them. Yue slid a foot forward and pulled it up in an arc like a dancer finishing a jump. A second later a sheen encircled the group and jagged ice in thick ropes curled around them in a crystalline shell. Opal's mouth hung open.

Yue was breathing hard, looking to Proga. "Why."

Spark was shaking his wrist with a grimace, frost turning to steam. The area the rope had wrapped around was a dark purple.

"I think they're sending us into a trap." Proga explained. "I think they are chasing us back towards more of them. We can't go the way they want."

"Well which way to you want to go then? I'm pretty sure by stopping you got us surrounded." Spark stared out of the crude shelter. Another spear bounced off and he jerked back. "I can probably get most of them if I-"

"Do you think you can be accurate enough not to burn down half the forest?" Yue shook his head. "Then even if we get out the god of this area will be justified in bleeding us dry."

Spark grunted. "Then what's your idea?"

"Proga- That animal you became last time- it had a pretty thick hide, right?" Kait avoided a swipe by one of the horde sticking its oozing hand through. Opal, without thinking, grabbed it and twisted. The creature screeched and retreated.

"Riiiuuuuught?" They now had a distinctly higher pitch to their horrible imitation.

"Not when it came to bullets. I could handle a crude spear or two..."

"Do you have the energy to change into it?"

"Are you asking for a ride, Yue?" Proga grinned despite the danger.

"Can you or no?"

"Yeah. If you give me a little more cover from that sun- shouldn't be an issue- but you'll need to avoid the shadow. I'm not taking a chance."

"So we need to step out... there."

"I've got an idea."

Everyone turned to Opal.

Her mouth went a little dry. "Well- if the flames aren't accurate enough what if we use something that doesn't need to be? Do you think you can make hot enough flames to make ice into boiling water- or better, steam?" She pointed to Spark's wrist where Yue's ice had caught him.

"Yeah."

"Then we don't have to target individuals or see the ones above."

"Opal... good idea." Yue appraised her and then turned to Spark. "This isn't usual ice but I'll try and make it weaker for you."

"Shut up and worry about yourself." Spark's eyes were already glowing yellow. He shoved Kait and Opal behind him. "Go ahead and take your time, your highness. I'm ready."