Chapter twenty four - Love is a dagger

Warm rays of sunlight shone through the door as the guard stepped into the dungeon for his lunch round. Then and there you could have committed any crime that could justify being locked up, just to feel that warmth against your face and inhale the salty sea scent. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath through your nose. Nothing. Just the same bare and empty scent as every day before.

Opening your eyes you drew a harsh breath and flung yourself backwards, almost tripping on your own feet. It hadn't been the guard who had entered the dungeon.

"You look thinner.", Thor removed his hood, revealing a face you knew so well, yet felt so unfamiliar and different. The golden aura that embraced him before, now felt washed out. His cheeks, just like yours, looked thinner.

"Likewise.", you kept your distance, even though the barrier kept the two of you apart, "Why am I here, Thor?", your voice rang with despondency.

"You know why.", a cold answer, but he didn't look angry. Just sorrowful.

"I do.", you took a few hesitant steps toward him, "What I don't know is why I'm still here."

"Did you do it?"

The question, like a punch to your gut. You shook your head.

"Did you pay someone to do it?"

"Stop it!", you could feel your magic punching desperately against your senses. If your magic hadn't been restrained, your whole cell would probably be destroyed into burning splinters.

"You are in no way, shape or form in a position to order me to stop!"

"Why, Thor? Why would I kill my sister? Kill her for a man I do not desire to marry? Kill her for a kingdom whose crown I do not want? A weight I don't want on my shoulders."

"Jealousy, for not being the sister they chose!"

"By the gods, Thor! You're so arrogant. Everything is not about power, fame and who wears which crown. I barely want my own crown, why would I want your father's? Why would I want to be in a miserable marriage with you, when I'm in love with your brother?", Your teeth were starting to hurt from how hard you were clenching them as you punched out word after word.

"You love him?", Thor raised his brows slightly, as if surprised by your words. Even though you and Loki had been basically inserparable for month's.

"Is that so hard to believe?"

"No! I just... if that's the case, I'm happy for him."

"You can't tell him!"

His eyes narrowed, "Why? What games are you playing?"

"No games. You know as well as I that I'm not leaving this cell. Your father will see to it, poison your mind until you see no good in me, neither of you. My love means nothing. Loki will have to move on."

Something softened about Thor's expression. His shoulders slumped and he looked down at the ground for a few seconds before meeting your gaze again.

"I shall help you."

You furrowed your brows in question.

"What?"

"I'm not saying that I believe you, but... if what you say is true, that you are innocent. But if you are, I shall help you prove that innocence. For him and for her.", he put on his hood and started to turn to leave, but turned one last time, "And... for the friendship we once shared."

"Thank you.", you whispered and put one hand to your heart in a gesture of gratidude. He only gave you a slight nod before exiting the dungeon.

-